• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Azarth

Azarth

A robot with feelings... maybe...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

I was just searching "Lego Island Xtreme Stunts" in google images today, and I found this:

ixs_b.jpg

I've haven't seen these beta screenshots before, so I was really excited to see some new ones that look really different from the released game. Not only is the island layout different, but apparently there was going to be a multiplayer mode and an arcade mode!

I then decided to visit the site to see if I could find more screenshots. Unfortunately, there weren't any more. However, I found out that the site belonged to Martin Wood, who did art direction & management for Island Xtreme Stunts. He also did the character models and textures for Soccer Mania:

martians_700.jpg

Here's a link to his site: http://project-orange.co.uk/

• jamesster, Xiron, Biorune and 5 others thanked this

jamesster

jamesster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,570 posts

Lovely IXS screenshots there. The GBA version has multiplayer, interesting to see it was planned for the PC/PS2 game as well.

BobaFett2

BobaFett2

Game Design Student

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Cool. Those trees look waaaay better.

Azarth

Azarth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

The island looks a lot more like the Freeway Frenzy levels here than it does in-game. I'm really curious about what the arcade and versus modes were going to be like. Especially the versus mode. It probably would have had to do with the minigames, but it sounds like it would be difficult for two players trying to grind the Brickster's plane or rescue passngers. Maybe they were modified versions of the released minigames, unreleased ones, or actually having two players on the Island at once? Whatever it would have been like, I wonder who the 2nd character would been (or if there were a few characters to choose from, who they were).

As for the Life On Mars picture below, I'm guessing that there were a few martians that didn't make it into Soccer Mania when the game was released.

If I find anything else on the site, I'll be sure to post it as well :).

BobaFett2

BobaFett2

Game Design Student

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

If someone wants to contact the developer they could ask what those modes were going to be like.

ties125

The 4th one isnt a beta screenshot. Its the start-up loading screen on the dutch version :)

Shadowblaze

Now that ties125 bumped this topic, I came up with a simple idea. Why don't we put those alien face textures in LR2? I personally dislike the alien with yellow clothes that is in-game, I'd like to see a different dude instead. And come on, we have the textures right there, we could make the mod so quickly! By the way, I can't install anything on my computer, so I can't edit the MIP files from LR2 myself.

Oh, and, ties125, don't bump.

jamesster

jamesster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,570 posts

The 4th one isnt a beta screenshot. Its the start-up loading screen on the dutch version :)

We know. It's the initial loading screen for the game regardless of language.

Shadowblaze, perhaps you should refresh yourself on the rules regarding bumping. Bumping an old topic is not inherently pointless. Replying to a bumped topic merely to talk about the bump, as you sometimes do, is always pointless. If you think something is a problem, just report it and move on without making another pointless post in return.

But in this case, we're also talking about porting those textures to LR2. They've been a bit jpg-ified, and they aren't all of the martians either. I think you might get better and more complete results by using the textures directly from Soccer Mania - once the format is figured out anyway.

Shadowblaze

But in this case, we're also talking about porting those textures to LR2. They've been a bit jpg-ified, and they aren't all of the martians either. I think you might get better and more complete results by using the textures directly from Soccer Mania - once the format is figured out anyway.

I don't own the game, and as we can't extract the textures for the game, I think we should just use these ones until we discover the format.

Shadowblaze, perhaps you should refresh yourself on the rules regarding bumping. Bumping an old topic is not inherently pointless. Replying to a bumped topic merely to talk about the bump, as you sometimes do, is always pointless. If you think something is a problem, just report it and move on without making another pointless post in return.

I completely agree with you, in fact I try not to reply to people who bumps for good. I reply to who bumps just to tell him to not bump topics unless it is necessary. But come on, we warned ties125 quite a lot of times, and he still hasn't got that bumping is not technically allowed. And I got mad, and I am sorry for that. But did you really have to delete my post on that other topic? It was probably the funniest one I have ever made. :P

I'll try not replying again if it's not necessary.

Azarth

Azarth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

On my older computer, I actually ripped the Martian textures from SM a while back. Unfortunately, it is having problems at the moment and I don't have the original rips on my newer PC. What I remember is that the textures weren't as good in quality as the image in my topic because they are smaller (64x64 I believe) and have compression problems where the colors "bleed out". However, it is not anywhere near as much of a problem as IXS textures.

The image is missing Riegel and Vega's faces. I knew that Riegel's was in the game as he is a playable character, but I wasn't sure about Vega's. Fortunately, his face texture is actually used in-game. I'm assuming that it is used by a spectator on one of the Martian fields

Once I got a copy of LR2, I tried out these textures on the Martians. Unfortunately, the way they are displayed on a Martian head is really messed up. The problem is that while SM's are flattened, LR2's are more rounded so that they look more like the actual LEGO design. However, I was able to Vega's face look better by simply rotating and stretching his eyes (see my avatar).

I don't think it will be very hard to make Arcturus' (the red-eyed Martian with pale green skin) look better, but the other ones will be a bit of a challenge because of their masks. I'm actually working on a texture pack for LR2 that includes the other Martians. I will post some screenshots or even a topic later.