• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

MaelstromIslander

MaelstromIslander

Modification and Unused Content Researcher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

I know tiles are the way to go and yes i do want tiles, but there is a huge flaw in what Polaris just ranted about.

For starters, minecraft was basically a clone of Infiniminer, Minecraft is not original. So that rant didn't make much sense to me.

Tiles deserve to be in there because its nostalgic and sounds like rock raiders, and that blocks just don't feel right, why? Because minecraft and infiniminer did it so much it made me sick.

Tiles are there to stay, but still polaris, don't go around saying any blocky game involving mining is a copy of minecraft, because minecraft itself is really just a copy that includes more items and elements than Infniniminer.

Car CrazeXVI

minecraft was basically a clone of Infiniminer, Minecraft is not original.

This is irrelevant. Minecraft is popular, that's what matters.

So that rant didn't make much sense to me.

…?

Tiles deserve to be in there because its nostalgic and sounds like rock raiders

*because they work and the simplicity of it makes the hardest part of making a custom map scripting the NERPS or whatever. It is questionable at this moment if you actually read Polaris' post.

and that blocks just don't feel right, why?

Because it is not possible to get a big bulky ANY vehicle, such as that the equivalent of a Chrome Crusher, through blocky terrain? I thought this had been established already.

but still polaris, don't go around saying any blocky game involving mining is a copy of minecraft, because minecraft itself is really just a copy that includes more items and elements than Infniniminer.

So what do I call all the Minceraft clones, then? The people who copy Minecraft do it with the intent of copying Minecraft; For all I care, they don't even know Infiniminer exists. (And they probably don't considering they were stupid enough to think they could get money from a Minecraft clone in the first place.)

The only similarities I see between Infiniminer and the other is the basic concept - Manipulating the environment and mining for resources.

I hope you understand what I'm at here.
  • ProfessorBrickkeeper, The Ace Railgun, aidenpons and 1 other thanked this

Addictgamer

<snip>

TL;DR: If you think minecraft is a clone of infiniminer, refer to Flappy <$NAME>.
  • aidenpons and Polaris thanked this

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Retired Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
For starters, minecraft was basically a clone of Infiniminer, Minecraft is not original. So that rant didn't make much sense to me.

You've missed the point by a mile... and while trying  to somehow point out a so called "flaw", you instead reinforced one of his points in your own post.

• Alcom1, The Ace Railgun and Polaris thanked this

Polaris

Polaris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks guys, you've helped elaborate well!

MaelstromIslander - you're misunderstanding is valid! Let me try to explain myself better for you.

I know tiles are the way to go and yes i do want tiles, but there is a huge flaw in what Polaris just ranted about.

You are correct! Minecraft is not 100% original! In fact, if you look around these days, few things are  :P  Even the original Rock Raiders game wasn't all that original when it came out - but the biggest thing that you have to take in is the cultural impact of these titles.

Let me start with an example: I want to make a game that features blocks of different shapes and sizes that "fall" from the top of the screen and can be re positioned and rotated by my controller so that they fall into perfect rows at the bottom of my screen, and when they do so, they disappear. "But no", you say, "you can't do that! That's Tertis!". And you're right.

I guarantee you that Tetris was not the first game to feature moving blocks as its main gameplay mechanic, but because it is now so well established, its impossible to avoid. The difference between copying Infiniminer and copying Minecraft purely comes down to cultural impact. If you walked up to a middle aged man or woman on the street and asked them if they'd ever heard of Minecraft, chances are they'd say "yes!". Some might have kids that have it. Some might have meetings with other parents in the neighborhood discussing the addictive powers of said game! (This really happens!). If you posed the same question to the same demographic although this time asked about Infiniminer, you'd likely get some puzzled expressions. It's a much less popular game. This makes sense.

The sad reality is, even though Infiniminer, and many others, did it first, Minecraft did it best, if we only take cultural impact as our qualifier. It's not fair, but the bus has now left the station for any future game looking to jump on board the same band wagon - it's too late. Minecraft won. Just like Tetris did so many years ago.

I honestly hope this helped clear things up so you understand where I'm coming from better! We're basically arguing on the same side regardless though. This is just discussing the fine details  :)

minecraft was basically a clone of Infiniminer, Minecraft is not original.

This is irrelevant. Minecraft is popular, that's what matters.

I had a big grin across my face when I read this - you understood me 100% Car CrazeXVI!  :D