Photo

New version of ROCK RAIDERS - update

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

TheDoctor

thin slivers of rock that block your path, and getting stuck on a single pixel blocking you path

Hello Stewart. I have made a video on why you are wrong.

http://rrubucket.s3....roof_354239.mp4

This is a game called Space Engineers. You are able to dig freeform terrain with hand drills and larger drills attached to ships. As you can see, digging out that rock does not, in fact, result in a thin sliver of rock to get stuck on. I'm sure an experienced developer like you knows it's quite possible to have these systems in place and have them work for the player.

However, knowing that you are an experienced developer, I understand that you must know what you are doing and will trust you to make the correct decisions.
  • McStudz, McJobless, Xiron and 3 others thanked this

Tauka Usanake

Tauka Usanake

Advanced Member

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

thin slivers of rock that block your path, and getting stuck on a single pixel blocking you path

Hello Stewart. I have made a video on why you are wrong.

http://rrubucket.s3....roof_354239.mp4

This is a game called Space Engineers. You are able to dig freeform terrain with hand drills and larger drills attached to ships. As you can see, digging out that rock does not, in fact, result in a thin sliver of rock to get stuck on. I'm sure an experienced developer like you knows it's quite possible to have these systems in place and have them work for the player.

However, knowing that you are an experienced developer, I understand that you must know what you are doing and will trust you to make the correct decisions.

Well f****. Doc makes a good point here, and an even better one at this rate. While I for one still want a Rock Raiders game (howbeit a LEGO one still) there are enough mining games out there now that can fill the void that LRR left. They don't complete the fill as much as LRR did but it's better than nothing.

That being said, how would the new Rock Raiders compete with these games already out?

LegoMathijs

A few days ago, I get an idea for the Rock Raiders game. 

Maybe  a new miner can join the Rock Raiders team

Profile of the new miner:

14549948922_966eb7d109_z.jpg\

Chuckles by LegoMathijs, on Flickr

14547460981_ac8ec1ce04_z.jpg

14364251789_35452506cb_z.jpg

It's not an very big idea, but maybe it's nice to have some new miners in the game

• eagleeyedan thanked this

TheDoctor

how-about-no-bear.jpg
  • Zephyria, McStudz, McJobless and 7 others thanked this

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Retired Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts

As this isn't a remake of LRR, but rather an inspired game... you can assume there will be no RR team.

StewartG

StewartG

• Contributors
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Thx MADMAN for the video, I'd like to explain the problem, if you have a small drill that removes say 5pixels of rock, then you get a gap that is 5 pixels wide, if you need  twenty pixels to fit a vehicle through, then the player has to dig in four places wide to make a tunnel big enough to fit through. Imagine as he moves across to drill one of these 5 pixel sections, that he moves just 4 pixels across, that will result in the gap being only 19 pixels wide, this can happen anywhere down a long tunnel, or worse at a curve or bend, so when you vehicle tries to fit through it works fine for some distance then part of the way down it gets to a 19 pixel wide section and it will catch on the side of the tunnel by one pixel. Its probably not so bad for a small vehicle getting stuck in a small tunnel, but imagine you have a huge vehicle 500 pixels wide and it can't get through a tunnel because it is only 499 pixels wide, you will be looking at it and thinking it should fit through. Getting stuck is annoying and frustrating for the player, so its a better game design, to make gaps bigger than the sizes of the vehicles, so we standardize vehicles into set sizes, small medium or large, and only create gaps that are (bigger than) small medium or large, basically we dig out 'blocks' so paths line up, and the player doesn't get stuck - or at least it is obvious that they will, or will not, fit in a tunnel. In the video, you can see that the developers have coded it so you can't create rocks less than a certain size - the size of that pinnacle. That is their 'minimum block size' and any thing smaller than this 'explodes into rubble', this prevents thin slivers of rock being created, however the tip of that sliver in a tunnel, would still prevent a large vehicle getting though. its just a question of how small a block size you want to goto.

Currently the AI is served out on the first come first served basis, so the nearest Rock Raider, doesn't get the job, just the first in the line for new orders, I can see that checking the list of available orders and matching these with all the possible tasks, would improve the AI, these could be handed out more appropriately, and we should also add in outside influences, like monsters, so the nearest or best suitable will respond and then delegate their order back to the list for another RR. This is very possible. At the time, too many AI checks would have slowed the game down, but with modern processing power this would be easy.

• Cyrem, McJobless, The Ace Railgun and 1 other thanked this

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Retired Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts

I can agree on that dig sizing issue. In Space Engineers, I'm always having the issue of not digging wide enough or the mesh just touches the area of building... it is annoying and I've ended up just building tunnels huge to avoid this issue when building.

How is the project progressing?

• McJobless thanked this