• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

StewartG

StewartG

• Contributors
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

POPULAR

I thought I would share some good news on the remake of Lego Rock Raiders, we were going to call it Block Raiders (due to Lego trademark on the RR name, however the good news is that the trademark has expired and also the extra time they have to renew it, and we have just registered the 'Rock Raiders' trademark ourselves. The name will live on.

• Cyrem, Nishliau, PWNZOR and 30 others thanked this

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Retired Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

This is indeed great news! Thank-you DDI.

I have promoted this topic to RRU News.

• DX1 thanked this

Ben24x7

Ben24x7

Cat Vampire (???)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Congratulations!

Pascal

<3

ProfessorBrickkeeper

ProfessorBrickkeeper

Keeper of the Bricks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
This is some of the best news to grace the forums in recent memory... Given that you now have the name rights, will you release the new one as a sequel minus the LEGO name or something?

BerixMaster2010

This is officially the greatest thread in the history of this forum!

apemax

This is indeed fantastic news. Nice one.  :thumbsup:

Ayliffe

Yay! :lol:

This game will have all of the classic rock raiders, right? :)

Lair

Lair

Toilet Buster

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

Yay! :lol:

This game will have all of the classic rock raiders, right? :)

They're property of LEGO so no, I doubt it, and if I'm wrong and the trademark covered them too I really hope the game won't anyway. Besides something about things being let rest, it would feel fan fiction-y and uncreative.
On that note, I'm going to be the pooper and say that for some reason I really don't like DDI having and using this name now. I'm not really sure why I don't, but I don't. Sorry, Stewart, just ignore me and listen to the happy people.
[/overly negative criticism]
  • McStudz thanked this

LimeKiller

LimeKiller

I guess you should go with Alyx.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Sorry, Stewart, just ignore me and listen to the happy people.

Sage advice, Stewart.

I think this is awesome news!

(Although I think I can see where you're coming from, Lair)

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Retired Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

On that note, I'm going to be the pooper and say that for some reason I really don't like DDI having and using this name now. I'm not really sure why I don't, but I don't. Sorry, Stewart, just ignore me and listen to the happy people.
[/overly negative criticism]

You'd rather LEGO squat the name for the rest of eternity and do absolutely nothing with it? Or perhaps some kid could buy it because he wants to make some other game with the same name? Really, DDI is the best people to have it. They developed the original game, this allows them to do stuff with the name again. Honestly "LEGO Rock Raiders" and "Rock Raiders" can be two different games without any problem. DDI isn't trying to overwrite their old game, they're making a new game inspired of the original.

I for one am grateful they even took notice and put this into consideration.

Lair

Lair

Toilet Buster

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

You'd rather LEGO squat the name for the rest of eternity and do absolutely nothing with it?

Sure. The theme is over. In the end, it's just a LEGO theme, anyway.

Really, DDI is the best people to have it.

I could make an argument against that.

They developed the original game, this allows them to do stuff with the name again.

No it doesn't. Until 2009 LEGO had ownership of the name. They'd probably have objected to DDI using it. I feel uncomfortable with DDI owning the name of a beloved (to me) LEGO theme personally, it just seems wrong in some way I can't describe well. Yes I know I said it's just a LEGO theme, but it just doesn't feel right, maybe because it is a LEGO theme, but I can't explain this with any sense.

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Retired Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

No it doesn't. Until 2009 LEGO had ownership of the name. They'd probably have objected to DDI using it. I feel uncomfortable with DDI owning the name of a beloved (to me) LEGO theme personally, it just seems wrong in some way I can't describe well. Yes I know I said it's just a LEGO theme, but it just doesn't feel right, maybe because it is a LEGO theme, but I can't explain this with any sense.

So you feel the combination of 'Rock' & 'Raiders' should not be used unless accompanied by 'LEGO' due to previous product associations? I don't really understand your logic behind this, but if you feel this way then I guess that's just the way you feel.

Lair

Lair

Toilet Buster

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

I don't really understand your logic behind this, but if you feel this way then I guess that's just the way you feel.

I don't really either. It is just how I feel in the end.
I still am sticking by my not wanting things based around the original characters, though

Agent Arrow

Really, I think I agree on that front.  I'd like to see something based around the mechanics and general idea of the original game, but more up to snuff with today's games.

I, for one, would be glad to see this separate from Lego.  Being a separate entity allows the developers to pursue a more mature audience which is something I would LOVE to see happen, something with more action, deeper strategy, more combat, etc.  A few years ago I had toyed around with some drawings of what RR would look like as a 1920's near-steampunk mining operation as opposed to a sci-fi interplanetary mission and liked the results.  That's a direction that could create a cool final product.

I know I'm starting to ramble now, but if it's going to be based on the original, what about making it truly interplanetary?  They could add a mechanic that allowed for the mining of multiple planets by dividing up your raider groups or something.  Really, I feel like we could be a prime resource for the developers.  They could take a NFS: World approach and use us as a control and suggestion group to determine what players of the original game would like to see in a new version.

</ramble>

Edit:  One more thing I would really like to see is "enemy combat prioritizing".  I can't tell you how many times my little Rock Raiders have gone off and ignored the rock monsters / slimy slugs immediately surrounding my base in an effort to hunt sleeping monsters on the other end of the map.  Some sort of intelligent threat assessment would be greatly appreciated, so that they know what to attack first in order to minimize damage to RRHQ.

• StewartG and RockRaiderWolf thanked this