• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

jamesster

*bump*

So in summary, we are still missing:
  • The initial Austrian Klick comics,
  • The Time Cruisers board game and cards and whatnot,
  • That Prinzen Rolle tie-in comic.
Correct? And what's our best bet for getting those?

EDIT:   btw: Are you aware of Captain Magenta (Space Police II), Commander Bear (Ice Planet 2002) and Major Kartofski (Spyrius)? (all UK names)

Missed this before. I've seen "Commander Bear" and "Major Kartofski" in various places, and directly tied to the minifigures, but I've only seen "Captain Magenta" here. Is the name ever used anywhere else, particularly along with a specific minifigure? There's really only one choice of a minifigure that would fit him (the higher ranking SP2 officer with the epaulettes) but it'd be good to see another source.

On a slightly related note, here's a nice behind the scenes look at one of the Max Timebuster commercials:
http://www.miniland....es 3 1994/2.jpg
http://www.miniland....es 3 1994/3.jpg

And various versions of the final commercial:
http://www.youtube.c...0nnUa4Re8#t=208 (English)
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4UI4vQd-sTs
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HGfSKnHpu1I
Only Max's first name is mentioned in the English version, it sounds like his last name in another language might be given in the second link there but I don't know for sure, as obviously I can't understand it.

Tazakk

Tazakk

Tohunga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

So in summary, we are still missing: The initial Austrian Klick comics, The Time Cruisers board game and cards and whatnot, That Prinzen Rolle tie-in comic. Correct? And what's our best bet for getting those?

That's what we're missing as far as Time Cruisers, plus anything that may have been on Klick TV (still kind of 8S on that, though). There's also the rest of the LEGO World Club issues that Dark_Turtle hasn't been able to upload, which I assume would have several photo comics in them along with all of the rest of the content.

As far as the Prinzenrolle comic and the board game, I think that Dark_Turtle is virtually our only chance of ever seeing them. World Club is an obscure magazine as it is, and I don't imagine there are too many people out there that would hold on to promotional items tied to it, even compared to the magazines themselves, after all these years.

But if World Club stuff is obscure, then the old Austrian Klick issues seem to be virtually nonexistent. I'm keeping my eye on eBay, but even if something were to come up there isn't a ton I could to unless the seller decides to ship internationally. Unless I missed something, nothing notable has appeared since alan and I failed at our attempt to get some magazines a while ago.

Missed this before. I've seen "Commander Bear" and "Major Kartofski" in various places, and directly tied to the minifigures, but I've only seen "Captain Magenta" here. Is the name ever used anywhere else, particularly along with a specific minifigure? There's really only one choice of a minifigure that would fit him (the higher ranking SP2 officer with the epaulettes) but it'd be good to see another source.

While we're on the topic of minifig names, check out this neat early attempt to compile a list of them. The really interesting part is JohnKelly's post:

I was in the model shop when Ice Planet rolled out.  That summer before it came out, they passed around a theme summary that named all of the mini firgures in the theme.  Turned out there were names for the other themes as well.  Pity I didn't write it down, or I'd be able to post it.  The one that I do remeber is the red haired woman from Ice Planet was Major Urusa.

The implication here is that LEGO named all of the characters for the US region, and then just never used the names in advertizing ever. This would explain where the Black Knight and Commander Cold come from in LEGO Racers; HVS was sent all of LEGO's info on the minifigures, including, apparently, stuff that was never publicized.

Also, I'm willing to bet that he is misremembering, and that it is really Major Ursa. Because, you know, Ursa Major. :af:

• jamesster thanked this

Fushigisaur

While we're on the topic of minifig names, check out this neat early attempt to compile a list of them.

Wow, that... that is very hard to read, I have no idea what is going on there.

But since you brought it up.... can we get our own list going on? Please? I would really like that.

Also, I'm willing to bet that he is misremembering, and that it is really Major Ursa. Because, you know, Ursa Major.

Maybe she's just asian? ウルサ. This is now my headcanon.

Tazakk

Tazakk

Tohunga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Wow, that... that is very hard to read, I have no idea what is going on there. But since you brought it up.... can we get our own list going on? Please? I would really like that.

The link opens up on a specific post, I think, one by Tim Courtney. Scrolling up or down, you can see other posts compressed into a single line with a star, the author's name, an excerpt, and the date. Clicking expands the post. In any given post, purple denotes a quoted post that the poster is responding to. It's all kind of weirdly set up still, but hopefully that helps a little.

A list of minifig names sounds like an excellent idea.  :D  Do you have a particular way of setting it up in mind? Since so many figs have different names depending on region, I imagine we are going to need a table of some sort to hold all of the information neatly.

Fushigisaur

A list of minifig names sounds like an excellent idea.    Do you have a particular way of setting it up in mind? Since so many figs have different names depending on region, I imagine we are going to need a table of some sort to hold all of the information neatly.

Well we could maybe post a topic for the time being. JJ alerted me that BBcode has a table option.

Something like

US NameEUR NameOther Names__________________________________________
Gypsy MothNavigator SharpInsector 2__________________________________________
WillaIzraldaN/A__________________________________________

IDK. Just used the first couple that popped into my head...

Of course there would have to be some way of indicating what minifig the names belong to.........
  • Tazakk thanked this

Creator

Creator

The AI Car Recolouring Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Well we could maybe post a topic for the time being. JJ alerted me that BBcode has a table option.

That sounds like an excellent idea. I think I still recall most of the German minifig names.

PeabodySam

PeabodySam

The Poor Man's jamesster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

While we're on this subject, here's a list of characters that I've compiled myself.  It's a little lacking - formatting looks gaudy in Notepad (copypasta'd from Word, that's why), sources aren't cited, there's no images, Chima is missing entirely, and other themes (e.g. Ninjago) may not be up-to-date - but it might be helpful to this discussion.

• jamesster, Tazakk, Creator and 2 others thanked this

Fushigisaur

While we're on this subject, here's a list of characters that I've compiled myself.

That's... that's quite the list.

Maybe a topic wouldn't be able to fit everything?

Eh, we could still try. Who wants to post it?

(Also, who is "rocky" under the rock raiders characters?)

Ben24x7

Ben24x7

Visible Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

A rock monster maybe? Dunno for sure...

Tazakk

Tazakk

Tohunga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

A rock monster maybe? Dunno for sure...

Yeah, in MANIA Magazine the Rock Raiders call the Rock Monster ('the' because the magazine's canon seems to include only one total) Rocky.

jamesster

The implication here is that LEGO named all of the characters for the US region, and then just never used the names in advertizing ever. This would explain where the Black Knight and Commander Cold come from in LEGO Racers; HVS was sent all of LEGO's info on the minifigures, including, apparently, stuff that was never publicized.

Oh goody, there actually is such a thing as a LEGO story bible of sorts, and we have no idea where to even begin looking to recover it. I don't, anyway.

Also, is that the same Tim Courtney as Tim Courtney?

That's a pretty good list, PeabodySam. A couple gaps I noticed - Max Timebuster, Catle Kids, and Exocet from Drome Racers was sometimes named Exceta (including in the video game). Though where did "Ed" from Unitron come from?

Tazakk

Tazakk

Tohunga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Oh goody, there actually is such a thing as a LEGO story bible of sorts, and we have no idea where to even begin looking to recover it. I don't, anyway.

Also, is that the same Tim Courtney as Tim Courtney?

That's a pretty good list, PeabodySam. A couple gaps I noticed - Max Timebuster, Catle Kids, and Exocet from Drome Racers was sometimes named Exceta (including in the video game). Though where did "Ed" from Unitron come from?

Haha, it probably is the same Tim. He says he goes to a Christian school in the thread, and that LinkedIn page says he graduated from Gordon, a Christian college. Neat that he was a fan before becoming Community Manager.

Ed is from the Adventures of the LEGO Maniac. See here.

EDIT: Then again, maybe it isn't the same Tim. His description of his "minifig's day at school" sounds more like that of a middle or high school than a college, so there isn't as direct of a correlation.

• jamesster and Quisoves Pugnat thanked this

Creator

Creator

The AI Car Recolouring Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

While we're on this subject, here's a list of characters that I've compiled myself.  It's a little lacking - formatting looks gaudy in Notepad (copypasta'd from Word, that's why), sources aren't cited, there's no images, Chima is missing entirely, and other themes (e.g. Ninjago) may not be up-to-date - but it might be helpful to this discussion.

Baron von Barron is now also Baron von Thyssen? When did this happen? Oh, wait, it didn't, because Baron von Thyssen died over ten years ago. How quaint...

http://www.telegraph...yssen-dies.html