Photo

Sort of Rock Raiders Remake

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

McJobless

AOE... TA... Command & Conquer... Sim City... Myst

._.

There are so many more.

Myst I need to play eventually. C&C is okay when it's not as crazy as C&C3. Sim City is fun, but it was lacking a lot until SimCity 4. AOE I haven't heard of before.

PeabodySam

PeabodySam

The Poor Man's jamesster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Creating a fan LEGO game?  Okay.  Good luck with that project.  Very few projects actually get off the ground, but I might as well be polite, right?

But while I'm here, I might as well point out that this seems to be in the wrong subforum.  Seeing as this about a fan game in progress that is currently lacking any actual LEGO creations created in a digital program such as LEGO Digital Designer, LEGO CAD, LDraw, etc., I don't think this belongs in the "Digital LEGO Creations" subforum.  Correct me if I'm wrong, though; I guess I'm just rather surprised that there's already 15 replies and nobody else has done anything about this.

• jamesster thanked this

Bartemis

Bartemis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

First download is available! 

http://fistiks.nl/un...d/rock-raiders/

McJobless

*cough*

I don't normally try these games, mainly because I always have a deep-seated fear of what horrors lurk within them.

Before I go on the negative, some positives first. The game loads quick, which is nice. Raiders move fast. Game shuts down quick. Unfortunately, that's all I got.

1. The game breaks if you Alt-Tab, which I frequently need to.
  2. There's no Pause menu, the game just closes.
  3. There's no crystals or ore.
  4. What the flippin' dolphins were you thinking when you decided that you need to right-click to see squares?
  5. What is a "Basis"? Shouldn't it be called "Base", or more correctly, "Tool Station"? Why can the raiders walk on the "Basis"?
  6. Why is the interface so limited?
  7. You can't shovel rubble, so why is it listed as a priority?
  8. Walking speed is the same for ground and rubble.
  9. What is with the numbers that appear in the corner and then suddenly the Rock Raiders run around randomly digging walls? I pressed a button that appeared and they went beserk...

Furthermore, I was able to spam the teleport button about 1000 times. The raiders just walked in a pretty conga line until the game lagged so bad I needed to kill it (Esc button no longer worked).

I know it's meant to be like a basic alpha, but still...you could probably have told us how limited it was instead of just saying "New Release!"

EDIT: For reference, here is an example of how NOT to do a fan game.

http://www.kongregat...pra-mayro-kratt

Please try to keep above this man's brilliant attention to detail and crafting ability. He is a fine artist, but even he has his flaws.

• Zephyria thanked this

Bartemis

Bartemis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Thanks for the feedback, although everything you mentioned I am already planning to program. Walking speed isn't the same for ground as for rubble.

Basis is the Dutch word for Base. 

I think I'm no longer posting on this forum, I haven't even started and I'm getting loads of negative comments. It was just to please you guys, but I'm only releasing updates on my site.

McJobless

I think I'm no longer posting on this forum, I haven't even started and I'm getting loads of negative comments. It was just to please you guys, but I'm only releasing updates on my site.

You had one post with a few negative comments, and you just addressed them there. I don't see any other negative feedback thus far.

Cirevam

You got negative comments from an angry Australian who is hard to please. At least wait until one other person gives you feedback before you leave. Don't be so hasty...
  • Lair, antillies, McJobless and 2 others thanked this

TheDoctor

At least wait until one other person gives you feedback before you leave.

Hello. I'm TheDoctor.

Two words. Production value. Don't release a broken game. Don't release the result of you slapping your hands on the keyboard when Game Maker happens to be open. Release something that has some effort put into it. Don't waste your own time creating something that's not going to amount to little more than a poorly made fan game. The only people who play those are people who like to find awful games, break them, lambaste them, cry a little bit, then post the result to youtube. If you make something worth the time you put into it, and worth the time of those playing it, then you can release it. If not, either improve your game creation skills or perhaps find a different hobby. Perhaps modding LRR is more to your abilities if game creation is not.
  • Lair, Zephyria, McJobless and 2 others thanked this

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Retired Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

If we all sat around saying "great" this game would never reach it's potential. Criticism on your game will give you things to work on and improve. If you don't want to do that you might as well leave the creative industry altogether, you will always receive criticism from the public. Instead of going "oh criticism, I'm leaving" you should be thanking McJobless for not only playing your game... but clearly telling you what needs to be worked on.

Aside from what McJobless said, I can't see any other negative comments on your game.

• Lair, McJobless and EXRicky thanked this

antillies

antillies

ORR-Delta Developer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Bartemis, don't let the naysayers discourage you.  Programming is a journey like anything else and I imagine you're at the beginning of yours.  It's only natural that things will improve with time.  Don't feel pressured to release anything if you don't want to.  Unless you have an intended audience, your only goal is to please yourself.  Take your time and have fun.  GameMaker is just fine if that's what you want to use.  Nothing at all wrong with it.

That said, what Cyrem points out is also true.  If you are injecting something into a public forum, you need to be able to deal with and take criticism, hopefully most of it being constructive.  That's the only way anyone improves; critics may even point out things you never thought about or never saw.

• Cyrem, Lair, McJobless and 1 other thanked this

Bartemis

Bartemis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Haha, you people are so nice!

I'm used to have so less critics, because I'm on another forum game-maker.nl. There are only kids, so they are way more easy to impress with this kind of stuff: http://www.visiks.nl/creaties.html

So the point is that I must only release a playable game instead of a work in progress?

I just began on this game (not on GameMaker). There are already some hard coding skills in this like playing in a massively big level without lag, unit formation, etc. 

I just thought I should leave this forum for a while and make a playable demo.

Also, the point is that everyone is calling this a fangame, which is understandable because it is on this forum, same graphics and topicname says "Remake". But my intention on this game is to make it with the same principles (Mining, gathering etc.), but with a slight different gameplay, more like an adventure game.

Thanks everybody for taking in effort in stimulating me.

EDIT:
Perhaps it's clever to make a todo-list and a vision on this game so you can see my progress! Is that a right thing?

McJobless

It's a tough love we share. I would love to play the good guy more often, but I believe that sometimes you need to push a person a little hard if you want to get them to excel to the best of their efforts.

Sorry if you took any personally. I do recommend taking it at face value and trying to look at it as constructive criticism, even if I do sometimes go extra harsh just to try get a cheap joke in.

I'm used to have so less critics, because I'm on another forum game-maker.nl. There are only kids, so they are way more easy to impress with this kind of stuff: http://www.visiks.nl/creaties.html

I took a quick look over the site. The one thing they do seem to have is some creative ideas. Mind you, a lot of what I'm seeing has been done before and better, but I like to think at least some of them are genuinely under the belief they are creating a fantastic new game that's never been released...now only if they could work on their implementation skills...

So the point is that I must only release a playable game instead of a work in progress?
I just began on this game (not on GameMaker). There are already some hard coding skills in this like playing in a massively big level without lag, unit formation, etc.

Not exactly; the point is, we want you to show us something we don't expect. Basically, the more you get done, the more impressed we will be.

Of course, coding is difficult, but it might have been a little better if you slowly progressed, occasionally posting screenshots and telling us what you've included, and once most of the gameplay seems to be in a working state and you've got a few units (rock raiders, buildings, vehicles etc) prepared, then maybe have released it and told us to give you feedback on how the project is so far.

A lot of the problem with people starting work is that if they don't show us a lot of progress, we take it as a joke. We really need to see commitment, dedication, and a lot of effort to take something seriously.

I just thought I should leave this forum for a while and make a playable demo.
Also, the point is that everyone is calling this a fangame, which is understandable because it is on this forum, same graphics and topicname says "Remake". But my intention on this game is to make it with the same principles (Mining, gathering etc.), but with a slight different gameplay, more like an adventure game.

Well, do remember, we have short attention spans, so if you don't check in regularly we will probably, unfortunately, forget you. Sorry about that...

I'm going to be honest, I'd still call that a fan game, even if it is with slightly different gameplay. If you changed the graphics and the characters, then I'd be more willing to accept it as a new thing.

Perhaps it's clever to make a todo-list and a vision on this game so you can see my progress! Is that a right thing?

It definitely couldn't hurt. Do be prepared for people to dissect it, but again, we want to help. The games industry is very big, and if you want to have people playing your game, sooner or later you do need to listen to the (potential) fans.
  • Cyrem thanked this

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Retired Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

EDIT:

Releasing WIP games is fine, it generates interest. The majority of this forum is mid-teens to adult, so you will have to do a little more to impress then you would with kids.

A to-do list would be good, keeps you organized.

Bartemis

Bartemis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

I added a featurelist and things I've already done:

http://fistiks.nl/un...rized/features/

Bring it on!

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Retired Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

I added a featurelist and things I've already done:

http://fistiks.nl/un...rized/features/

Bring it on!

Excellent, looking forward to the updates.