• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Retired Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

I'm not sure why you guys are wanting backstories for the characters, the entire point of the Minifigures line is to provide basic characters that can fit into any variation of their basic theme - even when their online bios give them some sort of backstory, it's very light and flexible. For example, the Evil Knight has worked for Basil the Bat Lord and Cedric the Bull. Seeing as these are the characters you'll be playing as, and the worlds are based on actual themes like Pirates, I'm not sure if the mission giver NPCs will even be from the Minifigures theme at all, they could be from the more standard themes for all we know. Even if they aren't, it doesn't mean Funcom won't be coming up with their own story to link everything together.

With MMO's I kinda want a reason to 'exist'. Being thrown into a MMO without knowing why you are what you are or if you have a place in the world... is not very... captivating. It's just like: "I'm a minifig, I wear armor and kill stuff.... why am I playing this again?... Oh! Everyone! check out my hat collection!".

I guess kids don't really care about this though... and that is really who their target audience is.

Alcom1

Being thrown into a MMO without knowing why you are what you are or if you have a place in the world...

'Where am I, and why am I a mermaid?'

Ben24x7

Ben24x7

The only Personality Core-headed Blue Spy wielding a Cigarette

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Dibs on cop!  :lol:

jamesster

jamesster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

With MMO's I kinda want a reason to 'exist'. Being thrown into a MMO without knowing why you are what you are or if you have a place in the world... is not very... captivating. It's just like: "I'm a minifig, I wear armor and kill stuff.... why am I playing this again?... Oh! Everyone! check out my hat collection!".

I guess kids don't really care about this though... and that is really who their target audience is.

In LEGO Universe, the sort of story kick-off wasn't really specific to any one character, it was just sort of a general background that also applied to nearly every other character in the game, even most NPCs: "I'm a minifigure from some other planet and/or time era in the LEGO universe, and our most ancient and important planet just got blown up by a living black hole, so thousands of minifigures from who-knows-where (including me) are flying to the remains of the planet to try to defeat this evil and eventually re-build it." Funcom hasn't really given any hints as to what the story of their game will be, but I imagine it will have some sort of overarching plot.
  • Lair thanked this

Car CrazeXVI

It would also be interesting if they implemented a barcode feature where you had to buy the actual minifigure to unlock him/her in game. Like they did in Lego city undercover.

LEGO City Undercover didn't do anything with barcodes and the Minifigures line and such... I honestly have no idea what you're referring to there.

I think you mean like Glatorian Arena.

Aokpisz

Aokpisz

Oak Tree

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

*Tries to figure out if my post got deleted, or if I posted in a similar topic somewhere else*

Alcom1

*Tries to figure out if my post got deleted, or if I posted in a similar topic somewhere else*

May 4th, 2013, on the LEGO Universe Wiki Blog with the exact same topic.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LEGO News, LEGO Minifigures, Funcom, Screenshots, LEGO Universe