New LEGO Minifigures Screenshots

LEGO News LEGO Minifigures Funcom Screenshots LEGO Universe

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

jamesster

jamesster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
Back in February, we got our first look at Funcom's upcoming LEGO Minifigures MMO, but it wasn't much besides a couple of low-res screenshots. Funcom has now published several higher quality screenshots of the game in their 2012 report, with some interesting surprises:

LEGO_Minifigures_1.png

LEGO_Minifigures_2.png

LEGO_Minifigures_3.png

LEGO_Minifigures_4.png

Wow.

One interesting thing to note is that those pirate shacks on the beach in the first screenshot are actually from LEGO Universe, raising the possibility that we might be seeing more elements of LEGO's first MMO in this game. Also, the last screenshot there features a revamped version of the classic Futuron monorail, which certainly made my day.

The report also had some information on the development of the game so far, and a couple of details on gameplay:

After signing the license agreement in June 2012, a core team of highly experienced developers immediately went to work on customizing Funcom’s proprietary Dreamworld technology for use in the game. In the months that followed the team made amazing strides in the development of the game and in just a few months the team had completed a fully playable alpha version of the game. Thanks to Funcom’s robust internal development tools and a streamlined and highly efficient collaborative process with the LEGO Group, the team has been able to create LEGO themed content at a very impressive pace.

The game sets players off on a grand adventure through themed worlds that are built -- brick by brick, piece by piece - using LEGO materials. Players will visit locations such as Medieval world, Space world, Pirate world and Mythology world, where they will battle enemies, collect bricks and develop their characters. Players take control of up to several different Minifigures such as the DJ who drops sound speakers on his enemies or Grandma Visitor who can summon a forest on top of enemies and have the big, bad wolf show up to protect her!

Funcom and the LEGO Group will work together to make the game available to consumers in their online channels and will be coordinating activities to provide a broad and enhanced experience for the product line. The game will be a prominent part of the LEGO Minifigures online experience which already has millions of unique visitors every month.

Sources:
  • Lair, McStudz, Alcom1 and 4 others thanked this

le717

If we are not seeing the revival of old LEGO games and lines lately, I don't know what else to call it. LEGO City Undercover is the new Island, and now this has shacks from LEGO Universe and the old monorail... The more of this MMO I see, the more I like it. I mean, those screenshots show off some gorgeous graphics! They picked a good toy line to base this game on, no question.

Fully playable alpha... impressive pace

This thing could be done sooner than expected, provided we don't see a revival of the old LEGO attitude of wanting the whole game redone last minute which seems to have haunted most of the legacy LEGO games. ;P

jamesster

jamesster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
Yeah, this really is looking like pre-TT LEGO Media meets LEGO Universe in visual style, and I'm also loving the constant theme/model cameos... But will the gameplay be any good? It sounds pretty fun from what's been described so far (fast-paced PvP battles, team challenges, lots of collectibles), but how well are they executing their gameplay ideas? I guess we'll have to wait on gameplay videos or the beta to see that.

BobaFett2

BobaFett2

Game Design Student

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Looks great.

Alcom1

If we are all going to play from the same pool of minifigures, can we atleast have an aesthetic modifier to establish some degree of individuality beyond a name? I'd settle for as little as a palate swap.

• jamesster and The Ace Railgun thanked this

Lair

Lair

Toilet Buster

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

If we are all going to play from the same pool of minifigures, can we atleast have an aesthetic modifier to establish some degree of individuality beyond a name? I'd settle for as little as a palate swap.

More revival of old stuff like LEGO Island: Mr. Super's Super 2 hat store with hat accessories, because life is not the same without a hat

• jamesster thanked this

jamesster

jamesster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

hat store with hat accessories

"I sell hats and hat accessories!"

why did I reference that I don't even like that show or watch TV for that matter

Ben24x7

Ben24x7

Visible Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

When Lego fans wrote all over the LMB that there was a new Lego Universe coming out and that Lego was secretly saving up money so they could create it by their own. Instead we now get LOC Laval's journey and a Minifigures one... I like how in this minifigures one that Lego are reusing elements from LU and putting it into this game... It is a shame that you cannot created your own character (because that would make this a rough LU game.

Looks good but I wish you could create your own minifigure but that would turn it into a second LU...  :wimp:

RobExplorien

Futuron, yes!

JimbobJeffers

Wow, this game is looking really good. You can count me in as a player (at least from the screenshots so far).

The graphics and environments are very nice, and I'm glad their villains and themes aren't based on the Minifigures. It looks like they've got the balance of LEGO and environmental elements pretty accurate, too.

le717

It is a shame that you cannot created your own character (because that would make this a rough LU game. Looks good but I wish you could create your own minifigure but that would turn it into a second LU... :wimp:

Who said they were not going to have customization? I have not heard that. This is only Alpha. While I'm sure they may be working on it already, it is still very crude and not near complete. Minifigs, blind-bag or not, call for customization. I'm almost sure there will be customization later on. How it will be implemented, who knows. But I would not be surprised to see a Roman DJ Chicken in a dress later on.

. I like how in this minifigures one that Lego are reusing elements from LU and putting it into this game

I doubt they would copy-pasta models from LEGO Universe. I'm sure they might have access to them, since LEGO owns them, but they most likely remodeled them to fit their game engine and make them fit the feel and graphics of the rest of the game.

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Retired Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,768 posts

I'm interested in seeing what the gameplay is like. The problem with basing this on the LEGO Minifigures line is that none of the characters have any story (As far as I am aware). Which means you'll probably be seeing all sorts of random quests which may not be linked to any specific common cause.

The Ace Railgun

I'm interested in seeing what the gameplay is like. The problem with basing this on the LEGO Minifigures line is that none of the characters have any story (As far as I am aware). Which means you'll probably be seeing all sorts of random quests which may not be linked to any specific common cause.

They don't have any story with the different characters? Wow...seems kind of lazy to me but ok. It'll be interesting to see how they play it out. It would also be interesting if they implemented a barcode feature where you had to buy the actual minifigure to unlock him/her in game. Like they did in Lego city undercover.

Also did hear/see copy-pasta models?

jamesster

jamesster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
I'm not sure why you guys are wanting backstories for the characters, the entire point of the Minifigures line is to provide basic characters that can fit into any variation of their basic theme - even when their online bios give them some sort of backstory, it's very light and flexible. For example, the Evil Knight has worked for Basil the Bat Lord and Cedric the Bull. Seeing as these are the characters you'll be playing as, and the worlds are based on actual themes like Pirates, I'm not sure if the mission giver NPCs will even be from the Minifigures theme at all, they could be from the more standard themes for all we know. Even if they aren't, it doesn't mean Funcom won't be coming up with their own story to link everything together.

And no, LEGO City Undercover didn't do anything with barcodes and the Minifigures line and such... I honestly have no idea what you're referring to there. It has Minifigures characters, but they're unlocked like any other of the 290 characters in the game: By solving puzzles or completing activities and being awarded with their character token.

And no, the one model we've seen from LU so far isn't a direct re-use, the shading baked into the model is different and they've added a small lantern it seems. They are using the same design, though - I'm quite glad, LU had fantastic model designs and I'm glad to see at least some will be getting a new home.

Sim

Sim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I'm looking forward to see more screenshots for this game. These really look awesome! I can't stop looking at it. 

More news to come on May 24. 

• Jack Bluebeard thanked this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LEGO News, LEGO Minifigures, Funcom, Screenshots, LEGO Universe