• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Lair

Lair

Toilet Buster

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

I also wish that the Aero interface could royally f**** off.

You mean the same Aero interface I use to force Fraps to record the whole screen when it hates a game's 3D? No thanks. (though to be fair, I usually disable it for normal uses) How is it even anything like Metro? It's just a style to the same old interface.

The Fat Man actually has the Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo soundtrack on Vibedeck for free

"Minimum price: USD $4.49" isn't free. The other PPStZ thing he has there requires you to tweet something 31 characters over the limit to download.

MrEightThreeOne

Aero is very different actually. It uses something called DWM to render rather than GDI, which changes a lot more than you think. Metro uses DWM too. I hate both, honestly. Aero is just overly obnoxious and distracting, and Metro has the bloody start screen (which, even as someone who doesn't hate Windows 8's guts, I still can't stand it).

For the soundtrack, it said "List Your Price", so that's what I assumed. Sorry.

tfishell

tfishell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thanks for your post in the Humongous thread, 831, I really appreciate it.

I learned something today that may help with compatibility for those that need it. A fellow GOGer posted https://docs.google....YJBT15FTx0/edit on the GOG forum, which says that Windows 95 can be installed within DOSBox. Theoretically, one could install Win 95 and play many of these early LEGO games within. Two problems: the person playing would need a very powerful PC to do this, and you would need to pirate Win95.

However, it appears that GOG has been in talks with Microsoft for the past few months about becoming a publisher, so there may be something to this.

MrEightThreeOne

That would be helpful, except there's a few major problems there...

1. Windows 95 is not officially supported in DOSBox yet. It's really unstable and can crash at the slightest touch.

2. DOSBox does not support emulation of hardware 3D acceleration, which almost every LEGO game requires. In fact I can only think of four that don't (Island, Creator, LEGOLAND, and LOCO). There is a custom build that supports it, but I have tinkered with it so much and I just cannot get it to work. I hear they're hard at work on it, but it's been 2 years since the last stable release of DOSBox.

You can buy 95 off eBay actually (I don't know how the whole OEM thing works, but it can be worked around from what I hear). I happen to have a CD version (OSR 2.5, and the one I bought off eBay) and the original 13 floppy version (RTM. My dad bought this for our old 486 in its prime. Sadly, it's just the upgrade version).

tfishell

tfishell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Very old thread, but I saw this on r/gaming with a significant 1400+ upvotes:

http://www.reddit.co...rld_games_ever/

• jamesster thanked this

tfishell

tfishell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Well I finally got a reply from Mr. Wes Jenkins! I had to re-send my original email, but thankfully I got a response.

In a nutshell, he said that he would send/email my request to somebody in a seemingly high-up position, and let me what happens.

tfishell

tfishell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

To continue to follow up on this, Wes was able to provide me with contact info for the person - Hanne Odegaard - who "runs [the] gaming division out of Billund..." I've sent this person two emails thus far with no response (somewhat understandable given her position), so today I sent a third and decided the best thing might be to pass along the contact info the GOG staff. (I'm worried about posting the email here, even though I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be misused.) Hopefully something will come out of this, but obviously we shouldn't get our hopes up.

Oh, and in the email I sent to GOG I gave a shout-out to this site, comparing it to what the System Shock (systemshock.org) community has done over the years for System Shock 2, which saw a GOG re-release a few months back.

tfishell

tfishell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Ooof, unfortunate news. :( Email I got back: "Thanks for your email and follow-up. I have reviewed your proposal and discussed with the team and at this point I would like to decline the opportunity. Although I appreciate the idea it is not something we would like to pursue and doesn’t fit our strategy for LEGO Digital Games."

Oh well, at least we tried. Maybe later on they will re-consider. The only way to keep these games alive digitally now is through illegal means, it seems. :(

le717

"doesn’t fit our strategy for LEGO Digital Games."

Don't tell me they have been sucked into the TT Games pit too! D:

Oh well, at least we tried. Maybe later on they will re-consider. The only way to keep these games alive digitally now is through illegal means, it seems. :(

I vote for first option. Hopefully they will reconsider. Yea, it seems that way, but there is always a copy for sale on ebay, Bricklink, and the like, and if that is how the games survive until they are re-released, let it be. As long as there are players, they won't die.

Besides, TT Games re-released them in 08(?), so who knows? There might be another re-release planned soon.

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Retired Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

I somewhat doubt much discussion (if any) actually took place, the response was far too quick for an actual organized meeting.

I'm not surprised, TLG only cares about the now.

• The Ace Railgun thanked this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lego, gog, good old games, games, download, island, racers