Photo

How To Install LEGOLAND on a 64-bit Computer

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

MrEightThreeOne

As most of you may know, LEGOLAND is one of those annoying games that is perfectly 32-bit in every regard, except for its installer -- it's 16-bit, which basically means it's impossible to run on a 64-bit computer, regardless of what you try. For the longest time, most people believed the only way to solve this was by installing it from one computer and copying the files to another, but you lose the registry values in the process. I thought about writing an alternate installer, but I can't figure out how to extract any of the files manually. Thanks to the guys at ReactOS though, I found a simple way of doing it.
First, you must copy all of the files from your disc to the hard drive. Now download this file. Extract and place it in the directory where you copied all the game files to, and launch via it. It's basically a 32-bit version of the InstallShield V3 setup program. Install as you typically would, and the game should be good to go! Word of advice though, this is also one of those that ignores the default installation directory and just puts it into C:\Program Files\ instead of C:\Program Files (x86)\, so you may want to fix that. I don't know if that's a quirk with you, but it is for me. Enjoy the game!

Spoiler

• Lair, MCHover, le717 and 2 others thanked this

LimeKiller

LimeKiller

I guess you should go with Alyx.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Sweet! One less game to have to use my virtual machine on. 

le717

ReactOS? That's where I found out info about the 16-bit InstallShields too!

Great tutorial, legoking! This is great piece of advice.

I thought about writing an alternate installer, but I can't figure out how to extract any of the files manually.

As I don't own LEGOLAND, I can't make one myself. However, I can give some pointers. (NOTE: Most oft his applies to Inno Setup only, but some is more general. I have never used NSIS, so I cannot help with that).

1: Are there any CAB files on the disc? Look for a CAB and HDR file with a name kinda like 'data1' (so there would be two files: 'data1.cab' and data1.hdr'). You'll need to get a tool to extract that CAB to the harddrive. My Racers Alternate Installer contains a copy of one, and it may work. If there are no CABs, see if the files are sitting uncompressed on the disc.

2: If CAB, after copying the two files to the HDD, instruct the installer to pass the command line parameters ([Run] section) to the extractor to extract it. You'll need the CAB name and location, and destination if you copied the CAB to a Temp folder and now Program Files. If uncompressed, the installer simply needs to copy the files to the HDD (LOCOhas both, but the CAB never extracts, thus I pull from the uncompressed files). You use a [Files] section either way.

3. Have the installer delete the CAB, HDR, and extractor after installation. [InstallDelete]

4: Have the installer delete the games file upon uninstallation. If the files were uncompressed, all files referenced in [Files] will be deleted. If CAB, make a [UninstallDelete] section that lists all the game files to delete. If the save games are not stored in Program Files, use a wildcard delete (*). If they are, you'll need to add each file that is in the root of the folder, and use a folders type to delete the other stuff. Also add a [Dirs] section to create the Save folder, or it will be automatically uninstalled (odd, but true).

5: If the game has an option to install videos, or has multiple releases with different files, you'll need to delete those files depending on the circumstance. If you recreate the videos option, you'll need to delete the videos upon installation. If multiple files, the non-standard files will need to be deleted upon uninstallation. I find the best way to do this is to have a hard-coded Python EXE(s) to delete them, unless you know/want to learn Pascal.

6: Multiple installation types (use CD, don't use CD) can be tricky to set up, depending on the disc layout and files to be/not to be installed.

Some installers that example this list would be my Racers alternate installer, which has CABs, videos, ICD, and saves, and my Island one, showing the multiple installation types and uncompressed files.

MrEightThreeOne

Thanks!
Actually the games you wrote installers for don't have 16-bit installers, otherwise they would outright refuse to launch and throw up an error "The program or feature [Game] cannot be run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to see if an updated version is available." Lego Racers 1 and 2 as well as Loco have 32-bit installers, they're probably just not cooperating well with newer computers.
This game has CAB files, but only for DirectX. The game files are packaged in some incomprehensible file format. The movies are the only easy thing to find. Until someone has trouble with this method though, I think it's pretty unneeded.

le717

Thanks!
Actually the games you wrote installers for don't have 16-bit installers, otherwise they would outright refuse to launch and throw up an error "The program or feature [Game] cannot be run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to see if an updated version is available." Lego Racers 1 and 2 as well as Loco have 32-bit installers, they're probably just not cooperating well with newer computers.
This game has CAB files, but only for DirectX. The game files are packaged in some incomprehensible file format. The movies are the only easy thing to find. Until someone has trouble with this method though, I think it's pretty unneeded.

You're welcome.

Actually (here we go, back and forth :P), they do have 16-bit installers. As I wrote on my alternate installers topic:

What does this mean, and how does the relate to the installation failures? Simple.
_INST32I.EX_ is a helper file, which takes 16-bit commands and translate them to 32-bit commands for 32-bit Windows. On 64-bit Windows,
32-bit commands are handled by WoW64. So when the installer is launched, _INST32I.EX_ translates the 16-bit commands to 32-bit, WoW64
translates the 32-bit commands to 64-bit, and because of this constant translation, the installer stalls while Windows figures out what to do
with it. It's like what happens when you get stuck in rush-hour traffic.

That _INST32I.EX_ file is just picky(er) with some games and computers.

That... is a weird layout. I have no idea. Like I said, since I don't own LEGOLAND, I can't take a look at it.

MrEightThreeOne

Even if it does though, the SETUP.EXE files are 32-bit in those games. Here, it's a 16-bit EXE. As in, you could theoretically launch it in Windows 3.1 (though it will just gripe at you and say it doesn't support it). With LEGO Racers and LOCO, it will just say "Error Code: 21" when you launch it Windows 3.1, which means it's 32-bit and doesn't know what to do with it. 64-bit versions of Windows dropped all support for 16-bit EXEs though, and thus it refuses to launch under every circumstance, no matter what compatibility mode or workaround you try. As such, LEGOLAND will not install natively without this modification. This game isn't alone either, a LOT of old games have this problem. The older Humongous games have a unique situation where their EXEs are 16-bit, but they do nothing except launch another EXE in disguise as a different extension (the W32 file) -- but they had every reason, they were able to run on Windows 3.1!

• eagleeyedan thanked this

McJobless

Nothing pops up. It's running in Process Explorer and it creates temp files in the disc folder, but there's no install window.

EDIT: Disregard. It took the installer 20 minutes to cache the files.

Lair

Lair

Elite Member

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

Does this work with Chess too? EDIT: It installed Chess, but it won't run :/

eagleeyedan

eagleeyedan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Does it work with other games? I'd like to install some of the old Humongous Entertainment games on my machine.

MrEightThreeOne

I already covered this above, but...
The Humongous games are actually made to play off the disc rather than be installed. Thankfully there's a different way for those -- copy the game files to your hard drive, delete the EXE, and rename the W32 to an EXE. That should work.
There are other games where this trick will work though; SimCity 2000 for Windows is one of them.
  • eagleeyedan thanked this

eagleeyedan

eagleeyedan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

I already covered this above, but...
The Humongous games are actually made to play off the disc rather than be installed. Thankfully there's a different way for those -- copy the game files to your hard drive, delete the EXE, and rename the W32 to an EXE. That should work.
There are other games where this trick will work though; SimCity 2000 for Windows is one of them.

Awesome thanks :D Got Spy Fox working again. Ahh, good old times :)

Lair

Lair

Elite Member

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

It's not running. I've tried several times and waited for quite a while, but it seems to be literally doing nothing.

gundam777

gundam777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

not working, where do i put it on the hard drive? do i make a folder?

le717

OK, so I know own LEGOLAND. As you said, the installer is 16-bit, and the download you linked should install it. It did, and I got a complete log of the actions it took in the process so I can write an alternate installer. However, I'm a bit confused by what you said:

This game has CAB files, but only for DirectX. The game files are packaged in some incomprehensible file format. The movies are the only easy thing to find

My files are uncompressed, and are lying on the disc. Does your disc layout look like this, and if not, can you provide an image and/or a file tree?

gallery_2686_215_71088.png

Spoiler

MrEightThreeOne

Oh, I didn't even know you could log the installation. But yes, there ARE things compressed in there. If there aren't, then how do you explain how they get all the music and the things in the "zbuffer" folder once it's installed? I'm sure you could since you logged it, but that's not "everything lying on the disc uncompressed" to me.

EDIT: Le said he just scanned over it without really thinking about it because he was in a rush, disregard this.