• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Retired Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,767 posts
Installing custom maps to play can be annoying because you have to alter original level's CFG to point to the new level. There is a way to add new levels which has been known for a while, but never really explained much. What this tutorial will guide you through is adding a permanent custom map slot to LRR where you can just slap in CFG code and run the game and not worry about having to change it back after to the original code. This level always remains unlocked and it does not effect your save games. I will also give you some extra files to make it display nicely on your level screen. I've used a worm hole, as you can see below:

gallery_1_1_86221.png

Setup
First, we will need to set up the level link so that it will display. Open your LEGO.CFG file and in the block Lego* > Main there is a property called "StartLevel" with the value "Levels::Level01". Change the value to " Levels::CustomLevel".

Lastly, go down to the Levels block. Above the "Tutorial01" sub-block paste in this:

CustomLevel {
         ; CUSTOM CONFIG BELOW

; NEVER REMOVE THE BELOW PROPERTIES!
         MenuBMP                          Interface\FrontEnd\CustomHi.bmp,Interface\FrontEnd\Custom.bmp,Interface\FrontEnd\CustomGrey.bmp
         FrontEndX                          72
         FrontEndY                          2            
         NextLevel                          Levels::Tutorial01
         LevelLinks                          Levels::Tutorial01
    }
This is pretty much a place holder until you put a level CFG in. The game will run fine like this. The properties under " ; NEVER REMOVE THE BELOW PROPERTIES!" Ensure that it will always show the wormhole correctly and that the levels stay linked.

If you would like the wormhole, Then download

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

and put them in your "Interface\FrontEnd\" folder.

Thats it! The one and only problem is that the spoken level names when you hover are displaced by 1 level, but you don't really care about this ;)

I would recommend for the sake of ease and consistency that modders creating levels package their level in the level's own folder, so that it does not actually replace default levels.
  • JrMasterModelBuilder, Xiron, alan and 2 others thanked this

Pascal

Holymoly! Amazing!

alan

alan

Map Creator

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Awesome tutorial!! Thanks Cyrem!!

Edit:

Maybe you could sticky this topic, because it seems to be imprtant ;)

I just made the Planet on the top right linkable.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Of course I added the coordinates on which the level has to be. (In download)

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Retired Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,767 posts

I thought about using the planet, but at last moment, I liked decided to replace the small planet on the left with the wormhole :)

Good job.

Raider Mania

Raider Mania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Would LegoRR0.wad or LegoRR1.wad work or not.

alan

alan

Map Creator

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Yes it will work for them but you have to recompile the WADs after you modded the LEGO.cfg

Raider Mania

Raider Mania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

What do i open lego.cfg with?

alan

alan

Map Creator

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

You open it with a standard wordpad, it is readable in english.  8|

rasmusdas

rasmusdas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

i can't find the lego.cfg file is it because im running the european version?

Car CrazeXVI

I can't find the Lego.cfg file. Is it because I'm running the European version?

No, it's because you haven't

yet.

And be sure to use the

, so you can test it quickly.

Lair

Lair

Toilet Buster

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

And be sure to use the Data Method, for obvious reasons.

It's not obvious to me. I always use the WAD refinery to make sure I can back stuff up easier than I can with the data method. 

Mattehw

I have a problem where when I do this the pictures for the rest of the levels go to black

Masiaf

Masiaf

Apprentice Blacksmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

I am not a modder so bear with me on this. I replaced Tutorial01 with CustomLevels on the same line as StartLevel. Pasted the content above Tutorial01 which is located below ;;;;;;NEW STUFF;;;;;

Saved the the CFG and tested the game. Went to the game level selection, all levels are blacked out and cannot click them. All I have is a blueish wall of rock in the top left corner of the screen. I click it, takes me to loading screen then the game crashes. Is there something I did not add or do correctly or is it just my computer? (I am using a Windows 7)

alan

alan

Map Creator

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

No, you have done something wrong. There must be something that messed up everything else. The best way to fix this is to copy (/send me) your Lego CFG text and a screenshot of all the files in the level's folder (with a view also on the directory).

aidenpons

(Sorry to bump a dead topic (don't yell at me for calling it dead))

I HAD THAT PROBLEM BEFORE!!

I figured it was somehow related to the fact that I did not use underscores in the level name. Instead, I used spaces.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LEGO Rock Raiders, Tutorial, Custom, Map