Photo

Your Best Racers Gameplay Tips

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

le717

As most of you already know, I am writing a program to assist in the distribution and installation of LEGO Racers mods. Well, I wanted to add something special into it, something that the modding community can help with.

I want you to post your best Racers gameplay (not modding!) tips. I will pull out the best ones and add them into PatchIt!, to be displayed when a mod is being installed. Try to keep your tips short(er), around 100 characters, and to the point. It can be a general gameplay tip, or for a single track.

I probably won't add who said the quote, as everyone who uses PatchIt! won't be a part of RRU, but you will be credited. ;)

Thanks!

-le717

Cirevam

How short do you want these? Give us a character limit if possible.

Is that turn too tight for a power slide? Try a super slide! Hold the brake key as you begin your slide and you will turn even more tightly (need to confirm how to do this, it's been forever).

When you have a warp powerup, try using it right before touching a powerup or white brick. You will pick up the brick as you enter the warp which can be helpful.

Have you heard about the TRUCK DRIVER cheat? It's fake. Don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise.

• le717, Jack Bluebeard and aidenpons thanked this

le717

How short do you want these? Give us a character limit if possible.

I wouldn't make them much longer than yours. ;)

Those are awesome! Thanks!

MCHover

MCHover

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Don't use a turbo on a ramp, it will make your car unstable, and the effect of the turbo will be lost.

Probably not the best tip ever, but hey... :P

• le717 thanked this

alan

alan

Map Creator

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

During the warp powerup and shortly after, don't press any key. This will make you 'fly' further in some arrival places.

To make the speed of a green powerup last longer, press also the braking key with the acceleration key when the green powerup is finishing.

If you want to use the shortcut in Imperial Grand Prix, you can also open it by honking in the waterfall area.

When you want to fire the missiles, forget about them! They hardly ever hit any AI (opponent) especially in narrow races.

When flying (green powerup, 2 white bricks), you can do even harder turns than without them. 

Restart Rocket Racer's Run as long as RR himself has no rocket at the beginning. Then try to reach the green powerup at the start. When you got it, the race is almost won for you!

• le717 thanked this

RobExplorien

Just a selection of tips that came in useful for me (the yellow text is just extra information, not intended for using with the tip):

- Make sure to grab a blue brick and use it, at the start of Alien Rally Asteroid.

- Using the Mummy Curse power-up against opponents can be very useful, as it does slow them down.

- Never use a turbo when cursed by the mummy.

- Use a Grapple Hook on an opponent when dragged by the UFO, it will help you regain speed.

- Press the gas-button right at the start of the race to get an extra boost.

- Do not waste time searching for a 'real' shortcut on Knightmare-athon or Pirate Skull Pass, you wouldn't be able to use them anyway. (although, not without modding)

- (as Alan somewhat said) Only fire missiles when knowing you will have a clear shot at your opponents (e.g. the opponent(s) is/are right in front of you, or on a straight part).

- All red-type power-ups can be used to open shortcuts. (but the red-type power-up cannot open ALL shortcuts)

- Do not even try to shoot at opponents with a yellow or red shield.

I got more tips, but they would take too long (or to difficult) to explain.

• le717 thanked this

alan

alan

Map Creator

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Do you think that we have to mention those tips yet because I guess something like 

is known by everyone, right? :)

RobExplorien

Do you think that we have to mention those tips yet because I guess something like 

is known by everyone, right? :)

You're surprised when you find out that quite a few people still didn't know this, but I guess you're right. Although, it is still a tip, and that's what is being asked in this topic.

JimbobJeffers

Sounds like a good idea. I guess most have already been done now, but how about:

• When turning tight corners, move to the outside of the track and powerslide inwards. This will give you a tighter turn.
  • When firing the Grappling Hook, make sure you manoeuvre your car around the opponent, or you'll bump into them.
  • Instead of simply picking up a green powerup, why not switch it with a different one?
  • You can set the number of opponents in a single race to 0 in the Options menu, helping you to learn the layout of tracks before racing them for real.
  • There are two shortcuts in Desert Adventure Dragway that lead to the same powerups, choose which one you use wisely.
  • Master the powerup locations in Ice Planet Pathway to speed ahead of your opponents. They are often hidden around corners.
  • Developing a good track line will improve your lap times. Stay near corners to prevent a great speed loss when turning.
  • Try and release yellow powerup bricks on narrow sections of track - this will maximize their chances of hitting an opponent.
  • You can also listen to the colour console's beeps in Magma Moon Marathon to learn its combination code for the next lap.
  • In the Build Driver menu, you can click on the parts themselves to scroll through them faster.
  • Not sure how to build in the Build Car menu? Stay idle for a short period, and help messages will pop up for you.
  • When building your car, you are limited to 30 bricks. Although this is plentiful for most people, don't build unnecessarily.
  • Use the square grid below a part in the Build Car menu to accurately position your pieces.
  • Veronica Voltage can be a tough racer to beat - learn the positions of all the white and green powerups to beat her!
  • Is Veronica Voltage in your way? Just drive right through her, she won't stop you.

• le717 thanked this

jamesster

jamesster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

During the warp powerup and shortly after, don't press any key. This will make you 'fly' further in some arrival places.

To make the speed of a green powerup last longer, press also the braking key with the acceleration key when the green powerup is finishing.

[citation needed]

alan

alan

Map Creator

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Why?

Creator

Creator

The AI Car Recolouring Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Hm, pretty much all I can think of has been said by now. How about:

- Take your foot of the gas when hit by enemy missiles or affected by an oil slick - it will increase the chaces of your car doing a full 360° spin, instead of ending up facing backwards.

- Try and wait with firing your cannon ball until your target activated a turbo boost.

- Use Yellow and Red shields to turn your car into a moving obstacle and block the paths of your opponents on purpose.

EDIT

Doesn't work for me. I'm one of the few people with a 1999 build of the game, though.

• le717 thanked this

Lair

Lair

Elite Member

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

Why?

I've never heard or seen either of those two before.

• jamesster and LimeKiller thanked this

alan

alan

Map Creator

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

So why should I quote jamesster?

RobExplorien

I couldn't reproduce this when I tried, it all seems vague to me. (2001 version here)

By the way, that honking trick is pretty cool, didn't know about that one yet.