Photo

News: Tons of TT

LEGO News TT Games LEGO Marvel Super Heroes LEGO City: Undercover LEGO The Lord of the Rings

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

jamesster

jamesster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts
There's sure a lot of talk about TT Games going around lately. First up, a new trailer for LEGO City: Undercover was released today. Undoubtedly, the farmer is the best disguise in the game, as it allows you to do a Super Chicken glide and fire pigs out of cannons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CyH8Na_Hck

Next up, Game Informer has... Well, quite a lot of stuff, really. First up is a history of TT's partnership with LEGO, which is fairly interesting, and also contains some brief footage from classic games like Island Xtreme Stunts. There's also an article on co-op in TT LEGO games, and a video showing the animation of the Hulk in LEGO form. Finally, there's a video showing the development of LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, and a developer's thoughts on LEGO The Lord of the Rings.

Sources:

McJobless

So...when are they going to give up on the over-priced gimmick that is the Wii U?
  • McStudz thanked this

LimeKiller

LimeKiller

I guess you should go with Alyx.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
They did a nice job reusing that LEGO Island joke there in the beginning of the trailer...

Posted Image THE BOAT, SILLY!
  • Lair and Oboe Shoes thanked this

Oboe Shoes

Oboe Shoes

Admiral

• PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Part of me is really hoping whoever wrote that joke into the script got it from LI1
  • McStudz thanked this

le717

That actually is Mama. How?

In one of the newer LEGO Club mags (Sept-Oct '12 or Nov-Dec '12), thre is a map of LEGO City as shown in Undercover. In the corner of the map is a small island that is barely connected to the main land: LEGO Island. In their video bios, both Nick and Laura Brick once patrolled in a big city (LEGO City) before presumably being transfered to LEGO Island. In Mama's video, it shows her as a young lady, getting off a boat in a large city with lots of people, carrying a bag with her (as is this girl). Then add the L.E.G.O. Radio announcer saying that the Brickolini's Zillionth anniv. party was a huge sucess, and you've got the Informainac declaring to that girl "Hello, Mama!"

Now if in this game they show that same girl involved with a piano in any way, be it in the fore- or background of a cutscene or gameplay, be it buying a new piano ("Mine broke"), watching a piano being hoisted by ropes, or picking up/carrying around piano pieces, it means that TT Games does have a heart, and did read the LEGO Island script, and that is an absolutely confirmed Mama.

jamesster

jamesster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts
le, that island isn't LEGO Island. It's Albatross Island - the LEGO-ized Alcatraz that Rex Fury escaped from. The game opens with you constructing a ferry and going over to the island to gather clues about the escape. So far, there have been no indications of LEGO Island having direct ties to LEGO City: Undercover. Who knows, once the game is released maybe people will find some cameos, or maybe there's a LEGO Island bonus level or something, but right now we simply don't know of any connections.

PeabodySam

PeabodySam

The Poor Man's jamesster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

I'm sorry to say, I don't think I have enough faith in TT Games to think that this was a deliberate LEGO Island reference.  Nor do I have enough faith to believe that there will be any deliberate LEGO Island references in the whole game.  Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but it seems like LEGO doesn't remember LEGO Island anymore.

They have Legend of Zelda sound effects and Super Mario warp pipes, but still no sign of the one and only Brickster in a LEGO "cops & robbers" game?  Come on!  Soccer Mania had nothing to do with LEGO Island (discounting Captain Click's unexpected cameo appearance in the flesh... err, bone), and the Brickster was the main villain!  Heck, you could call this guy "the Brickster", and I'd be cool with that because he's got a beanie cap, domino mask, mustache, grin, jail stripes, and black pants... and LEGO completely missed that opportunity.

• Lair thanked this

jamesster

jamesster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but it seems like LEGO doesn't remember LEGO Island anymore.

*cough*

*cough*

*cough*

*cough*

Also, don't forget all the Adventurers cameos Indiana Jones had, and all the throwbacks to old themes in LEGO Rock Band, and the cameos of classic LEGO space ships in LEGO Star Wars 2/TCS, and the Space Port astronaut cameo in LSW TCS, and the classic town sets appearing in the various "LEGO City" bonus levels. TT Games actually has quite a history of referencing past themes in their games. :P
  • McStudz, MrEightThreeOne and Alcom1 thanked this

PeabodySam

PeabodySam

The Poor Man's jamesster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

*cough*

*cough*

*cough*

*cough*

Also, don't forget all the Adventurers cameos Indiana Jones had, and all the throwbacks to old themes in LEGO Rock Band, and the cameos of classic LEGO space ships in LEGO Star Wars 2/TCS, and the Space Port astronaut cameo in LSW TCS, and the classic town sets appearing in the various "LEGO City" bonus levels. TT Games actually has quite a history of referencing past themes in their games. :P

I'm not sure which is more ironic. The fact that I had to convince you that the LEGO Universe Sky Lane was the same Sky Lane that we all knew and loved (this was shortly before they updated Johnny Thunder to the classic textures), or the fact that you're using several images from my own majhost gallery as a counter argument to my statement. Well played.

But old sets appearing in TT Games are little more than cameos. It's not like in LEGO Battles (which doesn't count as TT Games because it was developed by Hellbent instead), which has entire factions of Islanders and Ninjas. From what we've seen so far of LEGO City: Undercover, it's all an original cast of characters, with preexisting character cameos being limited to those from the very-recent Minfiigures series (although, the Minifigures series does make quite a few references to older LEGO lines, but I suspect that whoever's writing the character bios must be an AFOL well-versed in LEGO history, as opposed to just a game designer).

Lair

Lair

Elite Member

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

. In Mama's video, it shows her as a young lady, getting off a boat in a large city with lots of people, carrying a bag with her (as is this girl).

It also showed real humans in that video. Plus, I doubt that LEGO Island takes place "zillions" of years after this game. 

MrEightThreeOne

So...when are they going to give up on the over-priced gimmick that is the Wii U?

You know, this sounds vaguely familiar to what people said about the Wii and DS.

• jamesster and PeabodySam thanked this

Lair

Lair

Elite Member

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

You know, this sounds vaguely familiar to what people said about the Wii and DS.

But the Wii and DS did not have the first major original LEGO game in a decade only on that console (excluding LEGO Battles) despite almost every other game being omni-platform, and they didn't have that touchscreen... GIMMICK thing.
  • McStudz, McJobless and noghiri thanked this

jamesster

jamesster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

But the Wii and DS did not have the first major original LEGO game in a decade only on that console (excluding LEGO Battles) despite almost every other game being omni-platform, and they didn't have that touchscreen... thing.

lol specifically excluding a game that would otherwise break your point entirely

Also, the basic idea of the DS (Dual Screen) was to add a touchscreen in addition to the already existing standard screen. And like it or not, the basic idea of the Wii U is to do the same thing but on a console.

Lair

Lair

Elite Member

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

lol specifically excluding a game that would otherwise break your point entirely

It doesn't really break my point because Battles wasn't as much as a super major game like LCU (or maybe it was, but I never viewed it as such compared to a game that reminds me much of many classic games) and handheld stuff is cheaper. Plus,

the basic idea of the Wii U is to do the same thing but on a console.

This is exactly what is wrong with it.

• McStudz thanked this

McJobless

And still doesn't change the fact that both are rubbish.

• McStudz thanked this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LEGO News, TT Games, LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, LEGO City: Undercover, LEGO The Lord of the Rings