Photo

DDI looking for help for BLOCK RAIDERS (Rock Raiders inspired title)

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

StewartG

StewartG

• Contributors
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

POPULAR

We have been impressed and encouraged with the dedication of our Rock Raiders fans, and after years of requests we are looking at creating a new Rock Raiders. We are considering combining a mine craft style world, so you can build and dig in more ways, please tell us what you think?
  • Cyrem, Addictgamer, PWNZOR and 30 others thanked this

Addictgamer

I highly doubt that LEGO would do such a thing, and even if it did, that it would go with DDI. It'd be much more likely for a Power Miners game, and that they'd use whatever company they're going with nowadays.
However, for the purpose of this, I'll just assume you're not some random kid trolling, and this is in fact a real thing.

All that aside, this sounds like ORR-C, my spiritual remake of RR. http://www.rockraide...php?title=ORR-C

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Retired Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
Welcome Stewart!

I'd just like to say to the other folks that I have done domain ownership checks and that this is the legit Stewart from DDI.

I have to go to work now but will be back later.
  • Lair, jamesster, IceHusky¬≤ and 1 other thanked this

McJobless

Mr. G, it's a me, the guy send you the emails ;P Welcome to RRU!

I think it's a great idea, but I was wondering about how you were going to style the game graphics wise. Will it be similar to ye olde LEGO, albeit without the studs, or will it be closer to Minecraft's 8-bit box approach?

Addictgamer

Welcome Stewart!

I'd just like to say to the other folks that I have done domain ownership checks and that this is the legit Stewart from DDI.

In that case, I won't be sleeping for days knowing an official remake of RR is on the horizon.
I salute you, sir!

If my enthusiasm to go as far as to spend years working on my own remake of RR does not tell you what I think, I will say it directly;
I dreamt about a Rock Raiders 2 all the time when I was a child. I mean that literally. A 3D Dwarf Fortress Rock Raiders RTS game? That's like...That's a dream come true. I fully support it. I wouldn't be making my own remake of Rock Raiders that follows the same style if I didn't support it!

Edit: In all my excitement, I forgot to mention that I'm a programmer, and am willing to contribute to this. I recall you mentioned you're looking for programmers and modelers in one of your posts.

Antillies

Antillies

ORR-Delta Developer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

We are considering combining a mine craft style world, so you can build and dig in more ways, please tell us what you think?

Hi Stewart! It's such a pleasure and thrilling to hear from a current DDI person! Before I offer an opinion, might you be willing to elaborate on how you imagine a remake looking? When you say Minecraft-style world, do you mean simply in mimicking its (nearly) infinite map bounds or do you mean that the game would be played in a first-person perspective?

Zephyria

Just. Please don't use the GODS engine. Please.
  • Alcom1 thanked this

Alcom1

I smell fascinating things coming from this topic. Hehe...

Cirevam

I just hope he isn't mad that we were so suspicious of him being a spammer since we've been dealing with a lot of spambots lately...

Drill Master

Drill Master

Drill Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
Wait. A new Rock Raiders? I don't know... Sounds pretty... AWESOME!!!!

jamesster

jamesster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
Oh heck yes.

So, like adding a sort of floor depth thing, so you can dig downwards as well and such? That would be a great addition. Are you thinking of a sequel, or re-make, or just a general follow-up game? Any talks with LEGO regarding the licensing?

Retsnom Kcor

This is perhaps the greatest thing I have heard this month.

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Retired Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Oh heck yes.

So, like adding a sort of floor depth thing, so you can dig downwards as well and such? That would be a great addition. Are you thinking of a sequel, or re-make, or just a general follow-up game? Any talks with LEGO regarding the licensing?

From what I understand they are looking to make a non-licensed mining game. It won't contain LEGO and won't be the same as LRR because they can't copy it. So I assume it's a new better mining game that incorporates elements of LRR. Vertical and horizontal digging is an idea they like, as do I and am sure many others will like this.

This is perhaps the greatest thing I have heard this month.

For me, since creating RRU.

In an email he mention he would like to get ideas for Monsters, Vehicles and other gameplay mechanics. He also mentioned what we would like to be moddable.

So, things I think are important modding features:
- Using a popular 3D model format (because not many can afford to use LightWave) such as .obj as an example.
- Landscapes that can be entirely re-textured
- NERPS was great in the fact that we could make custom level scripts, but it could be expanded further.
- Simple level file formats like LRR ( makes it easier for people like me to make level editors) or if you wanted to go full out and make your own editor, thats great too.
- Ability to add custom vehicles/monsters.
- Language strings file (allows the game to be changed to other languages)
- AI scripting for monsters if possible.
Basically, the more you allow us to do, the more amazing mods we can make which in turn also increases its popularity.

Things we wish RR could do:
- HD resolution support!
- Some sort of multplayer aspect
- In-Game menus that support the custom content (vehicles or other unit types)
- The ability to save and resume levels

Other Ideas:
- Flooding (like lava erosion but for water too)

More ideas to come....

If you need help in graphics or programming, I can try to lend a hand.
  • Lair, jamesster, Retsnom Kcor and 2 others thanked this

Zephyria

Well, I can only hope it wont be shovelware like their popcorn arcade series. I could POSSIBLY help with 3D modeling.

jamesster

jamesster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
A non-LEGO mining game would be awesome as well. :D Especially if we could mod it to be LEGO themed... ;P

I agree completely with the ideas Cyrem has already posted, and to add some of my own...
  • Keep the third and first person modes where you control units, but expand on them. It felt weird to be able to play directly as a Rock Raider in the original game, but unable to do basic things except for drilling walls.
  • Have scenery objects, or building-type things in the levels not placed by the player. Ancient ruins, as a random example. Perhaps some could have special functions or you could have levels focused on finding or defending points like that?

I'll think of more and post them.
  • Cyrem, McJobless and alan thanked this