Photo

Alternate LEGO Video Game Installers

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

le717

thanks for making these installers Le, this will really help people who need them.

You're welcome, Modded Lego!

And now, I release to the public the installer I wanted to create when I started making my Alternate Installers... LEGO Racers! I have fully supported both the 1999 and 2001 versions (which was not easy, let me tell you), extract DATA1.CAB, added a way to not install the videos, and a complete uninstallation routine. But isn't that how it is supposed to work? Yes, it is. However, it is a large milestone for me because 1. I had to copy the CAB from the disc and extract it (via i5comp.exe), uninstall the ICD if it exists (which was achieved by a hard-coded Python EXE), uninstall all the files except for the Save folder (done with a [UninstallDelete] section, and delete the videos if the user chose not to install them (also achieved by a hard-coded Python EXE). This was not a simple script by any means, but it does lay the groundwork for other installers of the same type.

Python EXEs were used because I could write one faster than I could find Pascal Script for Inno Setup to do the same thing.

Get the brand new Click-And-Go LEGO Racers Alternate Installer (with complete source code!) from the Topic Post!

le717

I've updated the LEGO Racers Alternate Installer, with help from Xiron. His copy of Racers comes with three different games on it (a Boys Only Club disc), and after I released this, I made a special, unreleased build for that disc.

In this release, however, I've been able to merge the builds, allowing both that disc and standard discs to be supported. Also of note:

• Complete removal of Python Exes used in 1.0 (although I rewrote them before they were removed); replaced with native Inno Script code, thereby reducing the Exe size from 2.15 MB to ~ 900KB
  • Updated icon for Installer and shortcuts, thanks to Olivus Prime and his icon
  • Fixed CAB extraction when installation path had spaces in it
  • Various improvements and updates
  • Source code moved from ZIP archive on Sourceforge to GitHub

You can get the updated LEGO Racers installer on the Topic Post.

I'll try to update my LEGO LOCO installer next, as I never completely finished it, and because I find the original LOCO installer picker about running than the Racers one. After that, I don't think I'll have any updates, as Racers 2 (and possibly Island) are already complete.

le717

OK, I think I finished updating my LEGO LOCO Alternate Installer.

Changes:

• Various improvements and updates
  • Added option to create registry string to run LOCO as Admin
  • Added option to not install videos (like the original)
  • Fixed uninstallation of SAVEGAME and POSTBAG folders
  • Fixed reported installation size
  • Fixed uninstallation of Registry strings (I messed them up, and it wasn't making new strings if they already existed; a double fail)
  • And, just like the Racers installer, relocation of Source code from ZIP archive on SourceForge to GitHub (with note on SF to let you know that)

Unless I've somehow completely missed a bug or feature, and the Island or Racers 2 installers don't need a bug fix, I think I'm done with these installers for a while. An installer is not needed for Island 2 or Island Xtreme Stunts (yet :P), and since I do not own any other LEGO games, I can't make any new installers. If I owned LEGOLAND, I would be more than happy to take a whack at that thing (it is bugging me about how little info I know about it and why it will not work).

You can get the updated LEGO LOCO Alternate Installer on the Topic Post.

McJobless

le717, I didn't come here to read your goddam auto-biography. I came here to install the game. The fact that the installers are right at the BOTTOM of the SECOND post (actually the 3rd one), and then you have to go through the damn SourceForge repository to get the right one...unbelievably annoying.

Thank you, but in future, just give us the damn links. I don't have enough life-time to waste it on reading all of that.

• Lair and Zephyria thanked this

le717

@McJobless,

Downloads moved to the very top of the first post. When I posted this, I was having some glitch, stopping me from making one post. That's why they are in the third post. However, I am open to feedback and user's thoughts, and I've moved them to the new location just for you. :)

If you'd like, I'll change them to direct links for the installer (I just updated them to go to the folder for the newest version). I usually refrain from posting direct links as I tend to update the downloads every now and then, and the links either become broken or outdated.

• McJobless thanked this

le717

Brand new installer!

I've spent the afternoon working on it, and I've successfully created a LEGO LEGOLAND Alternate Installer! :D The majority of the game files (the ones we couldn't find) were located in main.z, which was an InstallShield 3.x archive, while the rest were uncompressed on the disc. I haven't recreated the entire feature set of the original installer, but I may soon. If your disc isn't detected, let me know, and I'll try to support it.

Also, I've cleaned up the topic post, so now there is even less text to read.

You can get the installer on the Topic Post, and source code is on GitHub.

Enjoy. :)

LimeKiller

LimeKiller

Critically hit for 0 damage.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Will there ever be a Stunt Rally alternate installer?

le717

Will there ever be a Stunt Rally alternate installer?

How did I miss this yesterday...

Most likely so. While I would like to rewrite all the classic game installers, I don't own them all, and I usually rewrite the more troublesome installers first (that's why I haven't done an Island 2 or IXS installer yet. Both are 32-bit, and don't have any issues). I haven't had any issues with the Stunt Rally installer, and since I haven't seen (m)any other people have issues, so I haven't started one.

That being said, if I feel like writing an installer soon (and don't feel like updating my LEGOLAND installer to match the original, I'll make an Stunt Rally one because you asked. :)
  • LimeKiller thanked this

LimeKiller

LimeKiller

Critically hit for 0 damage.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

(text)

I seem to be having some trouble with Stunt Rally on my new computer, and while I still have a few tricks up my sleeves, an alt installer would be very appreciated, especially if I can't get this to work. So thanks!

le717

I seem to be having some trouble with Stunt Rally on my new computer, and while I still have a few tricks up my sleeves, an alt installer would be very appreciated, especially if I can't get this to work. So thanks!

I'll see if I can write one up pretty soon then. ;)

EDIT: Got an installer log from the original and what version the InstallShield archive is, and created a repo, but there's no code because I haven't started it. :P I'll try to finish it in a few days or so, we'll see how school pans out.

Edited by le717, 22 August 2013 - 01:59 AM.

le717

Just a quick announcement: I've released an update to both my Racers and LOCO tools, mainly porting some new changes from my LEGOLAND installer, but also performing various cleanup and small fixes. Noteworthy changes include

• Inclusion of the 2001 PDF manual for both games, compiled into the installer so they are always present
  • Removal of a duplicate [Registry] section in LEGO LOCO that created a Racers related string. :oops: It will be removed if/when you uninstall the game, but this prevents that from happening completely. Sorry if this broke anyone Racers install.

I will be either updating my Island installer with these same changes next or do more work on the Stunt Rally installer. Both will be pretty easy; I just have to do a bit of research for SR (thanks Car CrazeXVI for documenting most of the registry strings!).

Also, if anyone has an original release of LOCO and this installer works for it (or not), please let me know. I try to support both releases, but I only have a 2001 rerelease, and there are internal differences (if you don't know what version you have, follow this tutorial. If it will not run that way, it's an 2001.)

EDIT: I also added LMS to the list of available alternate installers. Although I did initially create this to contain my installers, I have no issues putting the installers of others on here and making it a central hub for LEGO video game alternate installers . :)

Edited by le717, 23 September 2013 - 06:52 PM.

Yajmo

Yajmo

Awkward Dancing Defender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Hey, any chance there is a Lego island 2 alternate installer? I'm planning on putting it on a new computer. I remember the extremely long waiting times and heard its because of files being in put wrong places. So is there an installer that will do it correctly? Thanks! 

Never mind, I just realized my disk is scratched up beyond the laws of space and time,ugh,  why was I so stupid @ 4 years old all the time.

le717

Hey, any chance there is a Lego island 2 alternate installer? I'm planning on putting it on a new computer. I remember the extremely long waiting times and heard its because of files being in put wrong places. So is there an installer that will do it correctly? Thanks! 

Never mind, I just realized my disk is scratched up beyond the laws of space and time,ugh,  why was I so stupid @ 4 years old all the time.

1.  No, because it works on modern computers and my main goal is to rewrite the ones that give people a hard time

2. I have heard that too, but it has never been confirmed. If it is true, then nobody has figured out where everything goes yet.

3. The files are also contained in BOD/BOB archives. If #2 were true and somebody knew where everything went, then I would get to use legomoe's BOD/BOB tools to extract them all and write a script to arrange everything, and while that would not be impossible, that would take a while to write.

Thanks for the question anyway!

• Yajmo thanked this

JrMasterModelBuilder

JrMasterModelBuilder

LR, LR2, LDR, and LDD Extractor Creator

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

1.  No, because it works on modern computers and my main goal is to rewrite the ones that give people a hard time

2. I have heard that too, but it has never been confirmed. If it is true, then nobody has figured out where everything goes yet.

3. The files are also contained in BOD/BOB archives. If #2 were true and somebody knew where everything went, then I would get to use legomoe's BOD/BOB tools to extract them all and write a script to arrange everything, and while that would not be impossible, that would take a while to write.

Thanks for the question anyway!

Does the game run with files unarchived? If so it would be easy enough to find out what is wrong.

• Yajmo thanked this

le717

Does the game run with files unarchived? If so it would be easy enough to find out what is wrong.

http://www.rockraide...-tools/?p=76170

This is correct. If you leave LI2 running while you change some textures, when you go back to the game you'll see those new textures.

You're right. That's very interesting. I would have thought that the game would per-cache all textures when it loads a level, but I guess not

I've also figured out that the game will try and use as much content as it can from the extracted folders first, but if it can't find something, it looks in the archives. So you could conceivably just put your modified files in the folders, and leave the rest in the archives.

This should make distributing mods a cinch, since a mod author would only have to distribute the files they modify, and the end user could just extract them to their game directory.

Have fun, Sherlock. ;P

• Yajmo thanked this