Photo

Extreme110's Traveller's Tales Game Research Blog

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

le717

Though I would post this here for preservation.

McJobless, jamesster, Joe, Alcom and I (well, near the end) were talking about the TT Games and they have never reused stuff they had in earlier games, when McJobless said he wished they made the Indiana Jones 2 level builder have more space by default when I chimed in about sharing builder levels. The following is a transcript of the conversation between McJobless and I.

[8/25/2013 7:38:59 PM] McJobless: They needed to expand the level editor.
[8/25/2013 7:39:09 PM] McJobless: I don't understand the arbitrary limits they placed.

[8/25/2013 7:39:18 PM] McJobless: I set myself up to go unlimited, and the game worked fine.

[8/25/2013 7:40:05 PM] Triangle717: [Sunday, August 25, 2013 7:39 PM] McJobless:

<<< I set myself up to go unlimited, and the game worked fine.

Did you ever write your tut on how to do that? (Side note: you did.)

[8/25/2013 7:40:15 PM] Triangle717: They needed that, and level sharing.

[8/25/2013 7:40:39 PM] McJobless: Uhhhh...I cannot remember. If I get time I'll come back to it. Level sharing I'm not sure if we got working yet.

[8/25/2013 7:41:25 PM | Edited 7:41:31 PM] Triangle717: [Sunday, August 25, 2013 7:40 PM] McJobless:

<<< Level sharing I'm not sure if we got working yet.

Actually.... (begin possible eye roll),
[8/25/2013 7:42:38 PM | Edited 7:42:43 PM] Triangle717: I found out there is a way to share the levels. Was planning on writing a program semi-like PatchIt to automate the sharing, and make some (privacy) changes, but never did.

[8/25/2013 7:43:01 PM] McJobless: Ah.
[8/25/2013 7:43:11 PM] McJobless: Well, there's not so much of an audience which is the problem.
[8/25/2013 7:43:27 PM] McJobless: It'd be a bigger deal if we could get a program to switch model formats between each game.
[8/25/2013 7:43:44 PM] McJobless: So I got throw all the Star Wars characters into Indiana Jones.
[8/25/2013 7:43:49 PM] Triangle717: I'll tell the method and changes, maybe someone will write a program to do it if I don't do it first,
[8/25/2013 7:43:55 PM] Triangle717: That is, if you want to hear it.

[8/25/2013 7:44:20 PM] McJobless: I don't know much about programming, so I wont be able to do anything with it.

[8/25/2013 7:44:30 PM] Triangle717: Promise I'll try to keep it brief.
[8/25/2013 7:45:53 PM] Triangle717: Near the top of each save, there are two lines. They are the path to the AppData folder for the game, the first to the folder only, second to CachedShaders.dat.
[8/25/2013 7:46:47 PM] Triangle717: It is written when you make the save, and varies depending on your username/XP or Vista+ (this is obvious).
[8/25/2013 7:47:22 PM] Triangle717: The app would blank these lines, converting them to nulls (I think that is it) so no personal info would be shared.

[8/25/2013 7:47:35 PM] McJobless: Oh cool, alright.

[8/25/2013 7:48:24 PM] Triangle717: Long renaming process here, so it can be planted into the proper slot, and would include a 100% save so everything could be used.
[8/25/2013 7:49:09 PM] Triangle717: Then, it would locate your AppData folder, ask for save slot (actually, this is the renaming process), install the files.
[8/25/2013 7:49:12 PM] Triangle717: Tada.
[8/25/2013 7:50:13 PM] Triangle717: And actually, the paths in the file aren't even used, so it you can either blank them or do a straight copy, and it loads.

[8/25/2013 7:50:37 PM] McJobless: Oh wow, alright.

[8/25/2013 7:50:44 PM] Triangle717:  I've done this plenty of times, even from an XP to 7 transition.
[8/25/2013 7:51:15 PM] Triangle717: That's it. It's downright so simple, yet TT cared not to add such a feature.

• McJobless thanked this

Lucas W

Lucas W

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The method for modding the game through extracting the files and placing them in the root folder appears not to work with Lego Lord of the Rings, but I can confirm it does work with Lego Star Wars: The Clone Wars, which is a shame since the LLOTR one is IMO a better and more interesting game and could probably be more interesting mod-wise since it's "Open World".

Sorry for the 3 month bump as well.

EDIT: Also, I've been playing around with LSW: The Clone Wars and it seems you can edit the character configs files yet changes don't do anything, though through filename changes you can mix the character models around. I can't find anywhere where the actual character configs are so I assume they're in the compiled/encrypted files which I can't edit.

McJobless

The method for modding the game through extracting the files and placing them in the root folder appears not to work with Lego Lord of the Rings, but I can confirm it does work with Lego Star Wars: The Clone Wars, which is a shame since the LLOTR one is IMO a better and more interesting game and could probably be more interesting mod-wise since it's "Open World".

Sorry for the 3 month bump as well.

EDIT: Also, I've been playing around with LSW: The Clone Wars and it seems you can edit the character configs files yet changes don't do anything, though through filename changes you can mix the character models around. I can't find anywhere where the actual character configs are so I assume they're in the compiled/encrypted files which I can't edit.

They keep making pointless modifications to the engine everytime they release a new game, so I'm not surprised. If I had money kicking around I'd look into that stuff, but right now I don't think demand is too high.

tatsuto

tatsuto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

It Works like you are used to if you remove the empty __disc__ file.

I successfully recreated dlc the console version of Lego lotr has.

I then figured I ad some more minifigs to be playable which works fine but most ignore their own txt config for some reason... and I really need to figure out how to unpack the a a .cd files. The cd stands for character definition file.

You guys might also find this nice:  http://wiki.the-team...rd_of_the_Rings

Feel free to add info there. Should help preserve the info. I intend to do pages for the other Lego games but I don't own em yet.

• Lucas W thanked this

Lucas W

Lucas W

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

How did you go about adding the minifigs/DLC? That sounds cool.

tatsuto

tatsuto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Looking up minifig namevars in the hgo file in the chars folder and then adding them to collection.txt

Additionally stuff/iconpage has to be altered accordingly. Still chardefs (.cd) would have to be altered for names and behaviors, but no luck with that yet...

• Lucas W thanked this

SpetsNazGuy

Since we're on the topic of modding LEGO games, I might as well share my ideas and questions.

This seems to be the only forum that could possibly answer my questions; maybe someone here with some knowledge of scripting within the game could assist me.

The LEGO game I need some assistance on is "LEGO Star Wars The Complete Saga." I already extracted all the files, so I have the configs out and ready to be edited.

Now time for my questions:

• Party sizes within the game - any way to spawn creatures (npcs) to make them follow you thereby increasing party sizes?
  • Partner damage (AI Controlled guy), any way of making your AI partner (player_2) take and receive damage? In the main hub (cantina) your partner can actually kill and die - so maybe it's within the scripts somewhere.

Now for my findings. 

Within the folders, specifically,  \LEVELS\MAP\MAP\AI, there contains some interesting script files. MAPCOMBAT.scp among many. This could be the answer to question 2.

Sorry for bumping a rather old thread, but it seems this is our only gateway to the modding wonders.

Oh yes, and another thing. It seems the newer LEGO games (including the new LEGO Star Wars game) actually makes your partner useful. An example can be taken in one of the Batman LEGO games, in which your partner can actually die AND kill enemies; having this in an older game would prove to be rather fun!

Thats my share from me.  ;)

-Spets :thumbsup:

Lucas W

Lucas W

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

As I think you discovered, all the .scp (Script) files are written in plain English programming language so I think both your points are theoretically possible. You would need to find the part of the script files that manages parties when you load a mission and it would probably be a list of the internal character name or ID.

Your second point might depend on how the game has implemented enemy damage. Perhaps the enemy entities check if they're being hit by the player to determine whether or not to take damage or maybe it's done on the AI controlled player's end?

EDIT: On my own progress, I followed the progress and I've got Lego LOTR working with it's files extracted, including replacing one of the sound effect .pac with it's contents (And it still works!). I replaced the Hobbiton party music and made the skeleton a playable character (Surprisingly while it has no weapon you can still do a jump + hit slam).

EDIT: Giant Sauron is cool, too bad it doesn't work that well.

EDIT: Scripting works, I changed the black gate's script so that it is closed when it should be open.

SpetsNazGuy

As I think you discovered, all the .scp (Script) files are written in plain English programming language so I think both your points are theoretically possible. You would need to find the part of the script files that manages parties when you load a mission and it would probably be a list of the internal character name or ID.

Your second point might depend on how the game has implemented enemy damage. Perhaps the enemy entities check if they're being hit by the player to determine whether or not to take damage or maybe it's done on the AI controlled player's end?

Well, glad to see a reply. Sadly I've tried everything, and it seems to be completely hardcoded.

As you may've seen, the main hub area (or the loadgame, savegame map.) has been programmed so that everyone within in it can take damage and the such. 

Another interesting note is that the player (player_1) is the only character within the normal maps that can take and give damage; other AI units in the field cannot do anything to harm other units - something that has to be hardcoded, I don't really know.

I'm guessing the map editor they used has these options and such.

Before I end this, I might as well state that the ai_2 file seems to be encrypted; maybe this controls the damage as well as the level paths?

- Spets

arcnor

arcnor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi.

In the last few days I got a few LEGO games and I started hacking them. I want to be able to edit levels completely, so I'm analyzing all the files that comprise the levels (I'm using Lego Harry Potter 1 and Lego Batman 1 for now). If anything has any information about them, that would be great. This seems to be the only thread in the whole internet that I can find about this, so I'll ask my questions here :)

EDIT: On my own progress, I followed the progress and I've got Lego LOTR working with it's files extracted, including replacing one of the sound effect .pac with it's contents (And it still works!). I replaced the Hobbiton party music and made the skeleton a playable character (Surprisingly while it has no weapon you can still do a jump + hit slam).

Lucas W, do you mean that you extracted the PAC file contents and removed the file, and everything continued working? Like we do with the DAT files?

Lucas W

Lucas W

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

On the .pac files, yep, same method as the DAT files. I found some quickbms script somewhere (I forget) that can extract the pac files and then I just put that output into where the pac file was.

On level editing, I'm afraid that it's most likely impossible to edit the levels without editing the files bit-by-bit (Which I know nothing about) or somehow obtaining TT's level editor. The models are also in a encoded file format that has yet to be decoded too though you could change the textures in the levels, if that's anything.

EDIT: Saying so, you can probably somewhat edit the level, I only have Lego LOTR to go off but in that the level script files are not encoded and are partly commented so you could 'modify' the level scripts. I'm not sure about with Harry Potter/Batman.

EDIT 2: Here's the link to the .pac extractor: http://forum.xentax....hp?f=10&t=10716

• arcnor thanked this

arcnor

arcnor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi Lucas W. thanks. I don't know why, but the forum didn't send me any email when you replied, even when I have a watch on this page? Anyway, thank you for the information.

When I said modify the levels, I meant exactly that, bit by bit. I wanted to write a level editor from scratch. Knowing that you can extract/replace the pac files is very good for modification purposes, like you found out already :)

Lucas W

Lucas W

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

https://www.youtube....h?v=c0d4vsCP4sM

shadow_lonely

shadow_lonely

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Hello Contributors! I found some font file in The LEGO Movie Videogame, but I can't read it, can you help me edit those .fnt file. ^^ I'll translate those to my language! Thanks! Sorry my language! I uploaded them to mega.co.cz: https://mega.co.nz/#...rHlec73Kr9iFT-g

Thanks!

Lucas W

Lucas W

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The .fnt files contain the stylized letters/symbols that the game uses as a font when it produces the text. The text you want to edit is located in a text file which contains the strings the game uses to display in-game text. You can pick a language to edit and edit it's corresponding text file to change the text in-game. For your translation you will need need to pick a language that has a font of letters that are similar to the language you are translating it, though, or find a way to make a custom .fnt file for the game.