Photo

1:1 scale LMS Explorer

LMS Explorer big digital detail epic

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

McSpudz

Oh wow, this is... wow. :o

Very impressed with this model. I'm curious, though, if you'd be able to release the .ldr (or whatever extention LeoCAD uses) files of both the actual ship as well as the redesigned bridge? I'd really like to figure out how much it'd cost to build the actual thing, as well as the fact that I'd really like to build the bridge for myself!

~Kohilå

You have my respect. Not just for what you said, but for changing your text color and actually taking the time to make your post content look cooler.

Only time I've ever seen this was back on BZPower.

Tracker

Tracker

AIV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

You mean this "small" thing with just ~3800 pieces ;) ? Forget it, because the UCS Millenium Falcon has even more bricks :D.

btw: You have a point, because TLC made big sets and if a model will be too big, they make a smaller one (look at the minecraft set). Although there is still one problem: the cuusoo guidelines

There are some points like this one:
Acceptable content:
5. No projects to bring back old LEGO products. Please don't submit projects requesting we re-release or "bring back" discontinued LEGO products or themes. LEGO CUUSOO is for new and original ideas.

The LMS Explorer was never a set, but it belongs to the rock raider theme, which means that my idea would violate point number 5. Hmm, a hard decision, because it would be more like a UCS model of a product, which only existed in a computer game.
Maybe I should just post it on cuusoo ;).

My question now is about the RI line? It seems to be in a grey area.

Anyways, I had to stop with my city because of the fact that I will need about 256 TiB and a multi processor chipset to work with it in full. What are you using in the hardware department to do this?

Kohila

II'd really like to figure out how much it'd cost to build the actual thing

There are about 57,000 bricks currently, so I estimated $6000-$6500, but it's hollow so it could easily go up to $15,000. Or maybe I'm just guessing wildly. Regardless, it's big, and it's very hard to even look at the model.

Yeah, I noticed the brick count and was really amazed at the sheer volume of it. But what I really want to discern is how much plastic is actually in the thing so that a more accurate value can be assigned.

That, or I'll just end up looking up the value of the pieces on Bricklink or something. :P

Oh wow, this is... wow. :o

Very impressed with this model. I'm curious, though, if you'd be able to release the .ldr (or whatever extention LeoCAD uses) files of both the actual ship as well as the redesigned bridge? I'd really like to figure out how much it'd cost to build the actual thing, as well as the fact that I'd really like to build the bridge for myself!

~Kohilå

You have my respect. Not just for what you said, but for changing your text color and actually taking the time to make your post content look cooler.

Only time I've ever seen this was back on BZPower.

Ahhaha, thanks! I'm actually a Premier Outstanding BZPower Citizen back on BZPower. I rarely ever use the forum anymore, though. :\

Plus I'm a Homestuck, and font coloration comes with being a fan.

~Kohilå

Arthuriel

regarding the costs and the bricks: Hmm, I don't know, how many bricks the inner structure would have, but I think, that a complete LMS Explorer model (with rooms etc.) contains several 100.000 or even millions of bricks. That means that the whole thing would cost at least ~50.000€.

@Tracker: 256TiB?!? That sounds extremly big. Do you use LDD, LeoCAD or MLCAD? I used LeoCAD for the LMS Explorer, but MLCAD would have been much faster (but it takes more time to get used to it). As far as I know, these three programs use only one cpu core.
The main parts of my hardware system are a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+, 4 GB RAM and a HD4870 1GB

Here is a comparison between the 1:1 LMS Explorer model loading times in LeoCAD and MLCAD: ~2 1/2 hours in LeoCAD and maybe 1-3 minutes in MLCAD.

PS: Yes, maybe some things in the cuusoo guidelines are not really clear.

@Kohila: If you want to build the model or a part of it, you will need lots of bricks. I hope, that there are enough of them at bricklink etc. :lol: Besides: Maybe I can send you the file of the 1:1 version.

fun fact: I have sent the file to several people in this forum, because they requested it, but I never get an answer back, if they have used it. Maybe it is too big to use it or it takes a long time.
  • Lair thanked this

Kohila

regarding the costs and the bricks: Hmm, I don't know, how many bricks the inner structure would have, but I think, that a complete LMS Explorer model (with rooms etc.) contains several 100.000 or even millions of bricks. That means that the whole thing would cost at least ~50.000€.

@Tracker: 256TiB?!? That sounds extremly big. Do you use LDD, LeoCAD or MLCAD? I used LeoCAD for the LMS Explorer, but MLCAD would have been much faster (but it takes more time to get used to it). As far as I know, these three programs use only one cpu core.
The main parts of my hardware system are a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+, 4 GB RAM and a HD4870 1GB

Here is a comparison between the 1:1 LMS Explorer model loading times in LeoCAD and MLCAD: ~2 1/2 hours in LeoCAD and maybe 1-3 minutes in MLCAD.

@Kohila: If you want to build the model or a part of it, you will need lots of bricks. I hope, that there are enough of them at bricklink etc. :lol: Besides: Maybe I can send you the file of the 1:1 version.

fun fact: I have sent the file to several people in this forum, because they requested it, but I never get an answer back, if they have used it. Maybe it is too big to use it or it takes a long time.

If you can, send the file to [email protected]. :)

And yeah, I don't think that I have the desire to build the whole LMS Explorer; unrealistic as well as too big to fit anywhere. The bridge will do fine but perhaps I'll start working on sections of the actual ship; at a later date, of course. :P

Also, I've been working on constructing this piece for the MLCad library, as I've noticed that no .dat file exists nor has anyone started working on creating it, either. I know that I own that piece, and that it's laying around somewhere, but I've just been using reference pictures for the time being. I'd really like to create the interior of the piece but, unfortunately, I cannot seem to get any good angles of that. :'(

~Kohilå

Arthuriel

This piece (brick-number: 6032) is already in the MLCAD library. I think, that I downloaded it somewhere separately on ldraw.org

PS: I will send you the file today or tomorrow.

PPS: Here is a picture of 6032 in MLCAD:
gallery_1586_210_191604.jpg

Kohila

This piece (brick-number: 6032) is already in the MLCAD library. I think, that I downloaded it somewhere separately on ldraw.org

PS: I will send you the file today or tomorrow.

PPS: Here is a picture of 6032 in MLCAD:
Posted Image

Well, that was a lot of work with polygons and lines for nothing. :T

I'm gonna guess that my MLCad library is out-of-date. Guhh. Fantastic. Thanks for notifying me, though, before I completed it and wasted more time! :P

Also, thanks for taking the time for sending me the file. :D

~Kohilå

IceHusky²

~Kohilå

Fancy.

Tracker

Tracker

AIV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
LDD for that project and other extremely large builds because I can get elements where I want faster. I'll need to find a way to port it to the ldr format. I use MLCAD for when I need a custom element or impossible placement of elements.

Lair

Lair

Toilet Buster

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

oh, whoops. Here's my answer back: I have the file, but it's too big to do anything with. It takes two minutes to do anything to it.

Arthuriel

Wait, I think, that you were the only one, who answered me, if the model was for something useable or not.

Lair

Lair

Toilet Buster

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

Some of the images in this topic are broken.

Cyrem

Cyrem

Founder

• Retired Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Some of the images in this topic are broken.

And they are now fixed.

• Lair and Arthuriel thanked this

Arthuriel

Thank you Cyrem. Now every picture is watchable in this thread :).

I've also something for you, folks: I completed my LDD bridge model (I don't know, why I ignored this unfinished project for such a long time), which looks better than the two older versions (bridge in the 1:1 model and the separate bridge model).

I've uploaded the pictures in the first post of this thread, which is better for overview reasons.

Personally I like my solution for the lights above the control panels, because you could use the technique in real life (my other bridge versions havn't this feature, because I hadn't cared about collision control or some RL fixation of the bricks).

PS: Thank you, Lair. Your uploaded picture from a lego magazine on page two of this thread was also very helpful :).

• Lair thanked this

JimbobJeffers

Wow, brilliant recreation of the bridge there! I would actually buy the just bridge on its own if I could. How many parts are there?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LMS Explorer, big, digital, detail, epic