Map Textures

Amauros

Ok I fixed the problem. :) I resaved everything to 8-bit and now they work fine. I had it set on auto-detect, and I think it saved some of them in 24-bit mode instead of 8-bit. So now the textures work properly. :D

Anyways, first I want to show off a few things and then I'm going to explain a theory I have.

The floor and water textures (you can't see the water), are nothing like what I wanted so those will be changed. But here I want to show off the blue recharge seam. :D (they stand out a little better in the rock/lava splits)

med_gallery_514_58_242187.png

And now the blue crystal seam. ;)

med_gallery_514_58_291571.png

And this is my lava split, which looks a lot hotter than the old version.

med_gallery_514_58_352091.png

And now for that theory I mentioned. I think it's possible to have a "split" for each and every single level. The only thing you have to do is add it to the cfg. There are 3 rockfallstyles and textures described in the cfg, and each level designates which one it uses (along with what type of monsters). So all you have to do is add new entries into the textures (you don't have to make new rock fall styles), and make a new directory. Then you save all of your map textures into that.

So now you can have: ice, lava, rock, sand, swamp, biohazard, and mixed map types. All you have to do is pick which one in the level section of the cfg.

I personally will be making transition types (ice, ice/rock, rock, rock/lava, lava, etc), and I might upload those when I'm finished. ;)

There's also some promeshes involved with this, I would think you can just reuse the existing ones (you may or may not need to rename them, you may or may not need to use a hexeditor; this is still all just theory, so it needs some testing).

Updated. :P

Edit: Now I'm working on making a 4th split, I'm just testing so I'm actually just making a new entry in the cfg and linking it to an existing split (texture name is "Test" and I've linked it to the lava split). So I went to an ice level and changed the texture set to Test, ran the game and it was still ice. So I went back and changed it to Lava, still ice. Third time, I went and changed everything (rock fall, monster, etc) to lava. Still all ice.

I know I'm playing the right level, so now I have to figure out why it's not changing. >_>

Edit2: Nvm I got it. :D

Yay it's working. :D

Here's what you need to do:

Find this in your cfg:

Textures {

Lava {...}	

Rock {...}

Ice {...}

}

Add new entries with w/e name you like, but try to use the existing promeshes. Otherwise you may need to do some hexediting as it seems the promeshes link to the textures. So for e.g., this is what I'm adding as my fourth split. I'll be making the files soon enough...
    IceRock {

rooftexture				World\WorldTextures\IceRockroof.bmp

surftextwidth			8

surftextheight			8

meshbasename			World\ProMeshes\RockPM

texturebasename			World\WorldTextures\IceRockSplit\Rock

}

Anyways, I know this works because I've tested it, so in theory you could make 41 texture sets... 1 for each level including bonus levels. ;)

The reason you must not change those is because the promeshes (lwo files) link to the textures.

Anonymouse

1. Yay it's working. :D

2. Anyways, I know this works because I've tested it, so in theory you could make 41 texture sets... 1 for each level including bonus levels. ;)

3. The reason you must not change those is because the promeshes (lwo files) link to the textures. If you

1. Nice work!

2. Or more if you make more levels ;)

3. If you what?

Oops lol. Fixed it. :P I thought about an "if" and then I tested it. Found out it didn't matter, and forgot to edit that out. :P

If you like the blue ice one, I can upload that, but the blue EC's don't stand out very well. I'm trying to get more of a snowy-icy feel than that one...

As for rock one, I'm going to reduce the amount of blue in it and blend the dirt floor a little better.

The lava one is finished, the only thing different from the picture is that the powerpaths have a redish hue to them (to add to the hot feel of the cavern).

• 2 weeks later...

All three should be uploaded now. ;)

/lock this topic please, further discussion of my graphix mods should be handled on the other thread, thank you. :)